A few edge-on galaxies

It’s a bit crazy for me to shoot galaxies under heavy light pollution, but somehow they often turn out pretty well. These are my first LRGB images processed with PixInsight. I definitely found a few tricks I couldn’t have done in Photoshop.

891 was shot last fall, and conditions were really excellent those nights. Colors could probably use some work. I need to concentrate on that next in PI.

NGC 891 by The Hole in the Trees Skybox

4244, the Silver Needle Galaxy, has been on my list for a while. I was really surprised at the detail in the star clouds, until I learned that this galaxy is only 14 million light years away. Seeing and transparency were much worse than for 891, but resolution was still pretty good.

NGC 4244 by The Hole in the Trees Skybox

A couple also-rans, 5921 and 4565. I didn’t get nearly enough time on these ones, just 2-3 hours each vs 5-7 hours on the other two. Also, these were the first ones I processed while learning LRGB in PI.

NGC 5921 by The Hole in the Trees Skybox
NGC 4565 by The Hole in the Trees Skybox

CPC1100 with SXVR-H694 and Astrodon LRGB filters, all under Bortle 8 skies. :slight_smile: Plus lots of help from SGP, of course!!! Full details are below the images.

Kevin

2 Likes

Wow!!! Very nice Kevin.

Peter

Beautiful Kevin. That’s really awesome :smile:

Thanks guys!

Cool! Fresh air from the emission nebulae!