Alnitak Flatbox COM Port Speed

HI,

I have a simple question about the settings SGP uses for Alnitak Flatbox communications from SGP.

I have created a new updated Alnitak emulation box which considerably extends the features of the true Alnitak box via a second API. I have been testing it with my own program at 38,400 BAUD and was all ready to try it out from SGP since everything appears to be working as designed.

It appears that SGP ignores the settings applied to the COM Port in the Windows Device Manager and always overrides the connection to 9600 BAUD. Is that correct?

When I force my device to run at 9600 BAUD by also overriding the Windows Device Manager settings in my own code, the new device works perfectly with SGP. However, during device set-up prior to connection with SGP, a considerable amount of data is sent back and forth between the device and my own configuration utility program. Because of that, I would prefer to always have the device run at higher speeds.

Is there any way to allow SGP to use the Windows assigned COM Port settings in the Device Manager when talking to an emulated Alnitak Flatbox?

John

No, the actual Optec devices are 9600 baud so that’s what we support. I can’t imagine that you’re seeing much benefit at higher baud rates though?

Jared

Jared,

Thanks for the confirmation of my observations. I do see the advantage of using the original device’s single design point since that alleviates users having to manually configure the COM Port settings in Windows Device Manager.

I will look into finding a way to have my code and the device support both speeds (9600 for SGP usage and 38400 for my configuration program). I liked the extra speed since it was the difference between about one second and three plus seconds during configuration. (The device supports color tuning and multiple stored equipment profiles. It’s a decent amount of data being sent and forth between my configurator and the device during setup.)

It’s working at 9600 so I just need to see if I can make it reconfigure itself on the fly.

John