Any way to speed up download? QHY163M and Intel Compute Stick

I thought perhaps the QHY may have 2 cameras listed in the camera selection but that may have been specific to ZWO.

Hopefully Robin can get it working via ASCOM with Sharpcap and you’ll have a baseline to compare an ASCOM download in 2 different programs.

I’m fairly interested in this as I am interested in a camera like this and would hope it works fast with the compute stick

Robin is working with me now… I have sent him the Sharpcap log showing the error…
If you wish you can follow that there –
https://forums.sharpcap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46&p=148#p148

This is my list of cameras:

QHY163M is the native driver and it works.
Under ASCOM Cameras you have:
QHYCCD-Cameras-Capture and QHYCCD-Cameras-Guide

Both of them don’t work.

So Robin from Sharpcap is thinking that this issue occurs because of version mismatch of qhyccd.dll…

Hi. I reported a bug a few weeks ago, using the QHY163M. What I see is this:

For an exposure taken in focus, download time=exposure time. So a 2 min exposure takes 2 mins to download.
In sequencing, this also happens for the first frame and then consecutive frames are downloaded in approx. 2 secs.
If I pause sequencing and resume, again first frame will have long download time.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion of using APT, the download time using APT is 9 seconds from end of capture to start of new frame.
SGP takes 20 seconds to do the same.

@ Jared: would the version mismatch of qhyccd.dll as discovered cause this extra time delay?
Thanks
Jon

Thinking about this, we have not updated the QHY dlls we distribute with SGPro in a long time. It might be a problem.

Good, Ken. Is there anything I need to do to request this fix? Thanks Jon

I’m interested in this too, as I was also wondering about the relatively long download time (like @cbphoto I see about a 20sec interval) with my QHY163M to my notebook. Anything to shorten that download time would add up to many more light frames in a given imaging session especially when traveling to dark sky sites. I’ll be interested in the outcome.

Let me know also, I’m having the same issue also. Let me know when/if this is fixed.

QHY, for a long time, has just been working so I have lost track of all things QHY in the recent past. SGPro includes two DLLs in its install to help ensure that it is compatible with all QHY distribution models.

If QHY has changed their distribution model to register and include:

QHYCAM.dll
QHYUSB.dll

with all of their installers, SGPro can likely drop these from its distribution. The way that Windows works, when a DLL is required it will first check the folder in which the parent process is running from (in this case, the SGPro folder). When it finds the DLLs it needs here, it stops looking. One thing you can try pretty quickly (even indoors), is to go the SGPro install folder and rename the two files above. This will force Windows to look outside of its own local directory to find (hopefully) these two DLLs in the place the QHY installer registered them. If they are registered, they will be as current as the last driver you installed. You can see if this works pretty quickly. Either the camera connect will fail catastrophically or your camera will connect. If it connects, you may be better off operating this way.

If this doesn’t work, I have updated the DLLs SGPro distributes to the latest from QHY (v2.6.0.21)

Dear all,
I started a similar topic on the QHYCCD forum (please take a look):

http://qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=5760.0

because of the slow download time in SGP, if compared with other sw like Sharpcap.
As suggested by you, I tried also to find more updated driver (QHYCAM and QHYUSB) inside the QHY directory of my computer without success.
Do you think there’s a possible way to speed up the download time in SGP?

Thanks in advance
Marco

Version 2.6.0.21 has been released and has the newest QHY DLLs. It would still be interesting to try the idea I suggested above.

OK. I tried this (with .20) and it worked fine for my QHY163M, though there was no improvement in download times, which takes about 4.5 seconds for me with USB3.0 and USB traffic set to 2. I have no idea why people are getting 20-second download times.

Tim

cbphoto have you had a chance to follow up on this?

QHY just released a beta of a new DLL but it’s called QHYCCD.DLL You would need to use the ASCOM Driver.

http://qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=5832.0

I don’t have this camera yet but I am thinking about it :slight_smile: Thanks for any more info on this.