Direct mount dithering during exposure

For me dither won’t run at all because of decimal separator error, it just says “DM dither request sent: ms…” whatever i set it to.
I hope the devs can fix both these issues, unfortunately it seems devs aren’t doing much lately to fix issues :frowning:
I fear SGP is loosing some of it’s userbase due to small errors not being looked into :frowning:

This the response from 10Micron:

the mount communication log shows that the declination axis is indeed commanded to move for 10 seconds at 0.5x (which it does). The SGP log seems to confirm that the command is sent as a request to move for 10000 ms.
The 15 s settling time should avoid star trails in the pictures, but clearly this isn’t the way it should operate.
Regards,
Filippo Riccio
sviluppatore software 10micron
10micron software developer

Another comment from a 10m user:
I cannot help you as I’m rebuilding my equipment / observatory but before that with my GM1000 I never even entered any information in “Settle” and “for” and that worked very well. Is this needed now ?

I don’t understand why above text is bold and big.
Not intentially. Sorry.

I am finding out about the dither timing and settling etc. because I started to get trailed stars, without having changed anything in my SGP settings.
As mentioned before I never had to set any settling time before and had pinpoint stars allways. And dither did work. I could tell from shifting trough the images and by looking at the edges of a stacked image.

I hope this can be fixed soon. I think SGP is a good package. It always has served me well.

Hi Arie,

thanks for the link to the video, good to see that MountMonitor has helped to pinpoint this issue.

For those wondering: MountMonitor was written by myself for 10Micron mounts on order to visualise the mount’s behaviour. The current version 2.00 shows RA and DEC values and their standard deviations and has an option to include a seismometer to see if ambient vibrations can be correlated to anomalies seen in the RA and DEC data. There is not yet a website for MountMonitor, so far it has been explained on the 10Micron forum only.

As MountMonitor works with the LX200 protocol, it may work with other mounts than those manufactured by 10Micron and may thus be of interest for owners of other types of mount.

The software can be downloaded from my website: http://www.dehilster.info/docs/MountMonitor_v.2.00.zip

It contains a Windows help-file (CHM) with installation instructions. The software is written in Java and should run on other platforms as well, although that has not been tested yet. It connects to the mount via LAN and to the seismometer via a virtual serial port over USB. The software does not alter any of the mount’s settings, only reads data from it. I have not yet been able to implement ASCOM using Java, so any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Nicolàs

Thank you Nicolas.

This is a conversation with 10Micron:

Me:
Filippo,
Can you tell from the log file what the duration was for the RA pulse?
Both directions respond quite differently to the 10000000000000ms !
DEC is taking the full 10s as set. But RA moves apparently very brief.
I don’t understand why they are so different.
The SGP-log shows only a single instruction line for the dither request.
How does the mount get these instructions from SGP?

10Micron:
The ASCOM driver receives a “PulseGuide” call from SGP with the duration (in milliseconds) of the pulse. The ASCOM driver then sends a request using the pulse guide commands of the mount protocol (which are :MnXXX#, :MsXXX#, :MeXXX#, :MwXXX# where XXX is the duration in milliseconds). Since the mount firmware didn’t accept durations > 999 ms, a request longer than 999 ms is split into a sequence of requests by the ASCOM driver.

What I see is that the declination is commanded by a sequence of 10 * 999 ms pulses, plus one 10 ms pulse (adding up to 10 seconds), while right ascension receives only one 999 ms pulse. The declination indeed moves for one second, and right ascension moves for 10 seconds.

Without having the log of the ASCOM driver, I guess that there may be a problem with the ASCOM driver itself. Probably SGP is sending a 10 s request to both axes and the logic that splits a longer pulse into many smaller pulses in the ASCOM driver doesn’t work correctly when multiple axes are moving. I’ll investigate.

However, the right ascension is commanded with at least a 999 ms pulse (which it executes).

Regards,

Filippo Riccio

End quote

Trust this helps finding the solution quickly.
Arie

Just did a short 5 image test.
With 0,1s dither and 15s settle I get round stars again.
However the dither in DEC is much much more than on the RA.
Actually 100x more.
We now know why this is. . . . . . .

@Jared

Can we get this issue officially logged on the bug list?

Again to summarize: From the SGP logs, it appears that when configured for direct mount guiding control, SGP is sending the wrong duration dither command to the mount (e.g. sending 10s instead of the configured 0.1s). Hopefully this will be an easy fix…! :slight_smile:

thanks!

It’s been logged and is getting addressed right now along with a couple of other direct mount dithering issues.

Thank you,
Jared