Dithering always enabled when SGP starts

As the title says, I’m unable to permanently disable dithering in the equipment profile. I can do so via the equipment profile, but if I restart SGP, dithering is enabled again for that profile. The steps I’m following:

1.	Open a saved sequence
2.	Open the equipment profile and select the one I use (which is the default)
3.	Click the AutoGuide tab - Dithering is checked.
4.	Uncheck dithering
5.	Save the profile
6.	Click OK to close the profile.
7.	Reopen the equipment profile - dithering is unchecked as it should be
8.	Save the sequence
9.	Quit SGP
10.	Restart SGP
11.	Go to step 1 above (dithering will be checked in step 3)

It seems that if I don’t quit SGP things work OK, but as soon as I quit and restart, the dithering option is checked again. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? I would not expect that dithering is reset each time that SGP is started. Any way I can get dithering to stay unchecked between executions of the SGP application?

I think maybe there is a misunderstanding of what a profile actually is… Correct me if I’m wrong. In your steps, I don’t see a point at which actually apply the profile to the sequence. Remember a profile is just a template… it has absolutely nothing to do with the sequence… no link whatsoever. Changing the equipment profile does not change a sequence… even if you created the sequence from that profile. More here:

http://www.mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/UnderstandingProfilesFAQ.html

Thanks for the info, Ken; it helped a lot. After looking at things in a bit more detail and examining the dithering status in the control panel as well as the dithering icon in the status bar, it appears that the issue I’m having is not with dithering per se, but with the dithering checkbox status in the equipment manager.

Starting SGP brings up the default sequence pane that is pre-loaded with my default equipment profile. Both the control panel and the dithering icon in the status bar indicate that dithering is off. If I load the equipment profile using the profile manager however, the dithering status in the Auto Guide tab shows that dithering is enabled.

Same thing happens if I do a ‘New sequence with profile’ and specify my default profile; both the control panel and the dithering icon indicate that dithering is off, but loading the equipment profile with the profile manager shows dithering is checked. I can uncheck dithering and save the profile, but that doesn’t appear to have any effect; reloading the profile with the equipment manager still shows it as checked.

From this, it appears that there is an issue with the dithering checkbox in the equipment profile. I can uncheck the dithering option in the profile, save it, but when I reopen the profile (disregarding the sequence), dithering is still checked.

Any ideas? I can upload a video showing my steps if that helps.

I think there is still a miscommunication here… I cannot reproduce this behavior. Dithering is turned on on my profile, I have that profile set as the default profile for new sequences. I make a new sequence (or open SGPro) and the sequence has dither checked (in the control panel) and the icon for it is active.

Are you sure you are opening a “new sequence” and you are not opening the last sequence you had open? Opening the last sequence you had open is the default behavior when SGPro starts up so you would have had to have turned it off. You are using the beta?

I’m using the released version (3.0.3.169). I’ve uploaded a short video to Dropbox (link here) that shows how I load a profile, uncheck the dither option, save the profile, then load it again but dither is still checked. Have I missed something or am I doing something wrong?

I will have to check on that… the testing I did was for the beta. We haven’t had any reports of this broken on the stable release.

Thanks for checking. Not a real issue since it’s easy to verify and/or change with the control panel, but as a new user (still on the trial version and learning) my assumption is always that it’s something I’m doing wrong or have misunderstood.

If you want to post a video of what you’re doing, I can check it out… don’t go through too much trouble though.

I posted a link to the video on my previous reply (see here). I tried to upload it, but apparently movie files aren’t allowed on this forum.

Ok… I watched it and see what you are doing… It’s all correct. I am not sure if this is a bug in 3.0 or not (have not run the older code base to check… I guess it has to be though). I can confirm, however that it is not present in 3.1 (I do not remember fixing that issue, but maybe we did). Anyhow, the 3.1 beta is seemingly pretty stable now and close to release. It works just fine as a trial too.

Thanks for checking and confirming, Ken. I’ll give 3.1 beta a try tonight.