Duplicate image numbers

Over the last few years I occasionally get an image file with a “-1” at the end of the sequence number when there shouldn’t have been any. It happened again last night so I looked at the log file - see the link below. I added some lines starting with “XXXXX” that describe the high-level events.

• SGP first creates the base name, ending in 2022-04-03_002.
  • It then does a recovery since the guide star was lost. Note it did NOT take the picture.
  • It then creates the same base name again (ending in 2022-04-03_002), then takes the picture and writes it to disk. So far, all is good.
  • It then does an auto focus.
  • It then gets ready to do the next image, but creates the same base name (2022-04-03_002). I couldn’t see anything in the log that said why it picked that number and not 2022-04-03_003, as it should have).
  • It takes the next picture and saves it as 2022-04-03_002-1.

Log file with double counting

Image of what the Notification Center looks like (taken from a different day):

Thx for the detailed research here. I did actually locate the issue and, as expected it’s timing related (timing issues are almost always to blame for issues that occur sporadically). The concession for stability in this case is that the number of completed images can no longer be modified for the currently running event. In this case, we must let the sequence control the number of completed frames. It should be noted that there is a more elegant solution to this, but I think this one is ok for 4.1.

I’m unhappy about the spacing of the notification tiles in your notification pane. I haven’t seen that before…

@Ken Are you referring to the 1st notification partially covering the 2nd one? I see that occasionally on different PCs and different releases. Not positive, but I think it tends to happen when the top notification has a button on it, like “View”.

Not sure I totally understand your comment on the duplicate numbers, but it sounds like I shouldn’t expect a fix until 4.1. Is that correct? That’s fine with me.
Thanks

Yes, exactly that. Been trying to reproduce it but have not been able to yet. This is also a timing issue where the notification height is calculated prior to display.

Yes, with 4.1 so close to release, I think we are done with 4.0 releases. In any case, beta 753 contains the fix.