Focus starting point for OSC cameras

Configuration: OSC, no filter wheel.

In the auto focus routine, can we get a place to enter the focus starting point, as is done with individual filters.

I agree, Further…

I know the focus starting point can change based on temperature at the time but I see no reason why, at a certain temperature, SG Pro could not record the resulting focus position it passes, record that position for that particular temp and reference it on a later session as a starting point for the focus routine.

This idea would obviously be unique based on the particular scope/camera combination but it could work within the individual Equipment profiles.

Paul

Your suggestion is not new. A general feature that includes temperature compensation for a new starting point has been requested several times.
1: Minor feature request for when you run out of other ideas
2: Autofocus to far out to find focus - #6 by LordBeowulf
3: Automatic adjustment of focus position BEFORE the first AF run is started

In the third thread it was even promised for SGP v4.0 beta. Unfortunately we haven’t seen this feature until now. Nevertheless I don’t abondon hope that it will be implemented in v4.0 (stable branch).

Bernd

1 Like

Hah! Was trying to figure out why I suddenly got an SGP post when I haven’t been here in a year or so (trying to get a house built so I can get back to the observatory!). Yes, I still want that feature, if I can ever get back to astrophotography. Of course I’ve been down longer than just the construction period due to a failing CGE Pro and Celestron no longer supporting it with replacement parts! Bah!

Beo

Well, I found out that my focuser (Optec TCF-3) returns to the last position set to. Possibly good enough if temperature hasn’t changed the focus a lot.
Haven’t been able to test because I’m in smokey/hazy Oregon because of wildfires.

I cannot do a manual focus with a mask, since this is a remoted observatory.

I think this parameter is essential and can’t possibly take much to implement (I’m a retired SW engineer). So I don’t know what the big delay
in implementing it is all about!? Now that this SW is on a subscription basis, I’d think reasonable requests should be implemented in a reasonable timeframe, especially since

Jared himself said they “overlooked” this parameter.