Guiding subroutine inside SGP like in Maxim DL

Adrien - in your prior note with the warning messages, it seems, from what you describe, that you are not calibrating PHD2 in the best way. The warnings are for a reason. I don’t get them, so you must be doing something quite different.
If you can, calibrate PHD2 at low declination, close to the meridian. In that way, the movement that is experienced in both axis from similar guiding commands will also be similar. I keep my guider camera securely fastened and once calibrated, I just keep the calibration for next time. I do not re-calibrate for each target and there are several seasoned users that suggest that to do so, especially at high declination is not a good idea. I also disable DEC compensation during guiding too. At high declination, seeing noise swamps all but the most awful mount/setup and amplifying and reacting to the ‘error’ signal just thrashes the mount about.

My mount is pretty good, but with a single calibration I will get 0.3" RMS over several weeks. I use the hysteresis algorithm, with hyst turned down and min move of about 0.1. With longer exposures, I will go up to 70% aggression, on shorter ones, down to 30%, so as to not overreact to seeing noise.

Hi Buzz

thanks a lot for your reply. I tried it many many many times, also at low declinations etc… Looking at the ‘review calibration’ under the menu ‘Tools’ I got an extremely precise and nice ‘L’, even better than in the video.
PHD2 works and it guides well, that’s not the point. What worries me are these very odd warning messages like I described but PHD2 works nevertheless. But two times I came back the next morning finding an error in SGP, saying ‘sequence abortet, guide star lost’. Good night system was switched on and connected to my handy but no alarm appeared during I was sleeping. I don’t know wheater or not there is a relationship to that odd messages PHD2 is giving. It just gives me discomfort.

It’s a petty SGP cannot be connected to Maxim DL like Voyager does. Voyager only costs €30 more than SGP.

Regards,
Adrien

And thank heavens for that! Getting away from MaxIm is one of the main reasons I went to SGP!

+1

maybe SGP should have called itself “The Platinum Standard” …

@Adrien_Zingg

… that can often be the case if you have the ‘star mass’ option enabled in PHD2. It is designed to stop the guider hopping between close-proximity stars of slightly different intensity - in practice, it causes more trouble that it is worth and with it disabled, I only get the message if I have clouds that completely obscure the guide star.

1 Like