Image download hangs during Frame and Focus

I was using SGP release 3.2.0.660 with my EdgeHD8 and ZWO ASI1600MM last night. I was doing initial setup work to focus the EdgeHD8 manually using the hand controller of my PerfectStar Focuser, and had not gotten to the point of running any sequence. SGP downloaded several images correctly and then hung during the download. I tried rebooting the computer, restarting the Camera, pulling out and reinserting USB cables, etc. But I always get the same problem. I also played with the adjustment of USB download speed to no avail. I am using a USB3 connection through a StarTech ST7300USBME 7 port industrial USB 3.0 Hub. The ZWO ASI1600MM camera is using driver v3.0.0.3 and ASICamera ASCOM driver V1.0.3.15. I had the same setup before and had no such problem.

The sequence file is not applicable because I did not get that far. The time of the incident was 8/9/2021 between 11pm and 12pm.

Here is a link to the SGP log file:

The abort is seen near the end of the log file.

thanks,

Dana

I am having the exact same problem. When I opened up SGP it froze, rebooted the PC and restarted the app many times but still no go. Started it again, loaded but the the Framing and Moziac wizard froze the program when adding my object as a new sequence. I went to their main website. sequencegeneratorpro.com and it says it’s offline.

Could be related? They might have an outage and it somehow links to our software when using it?

Unrelated. SGP operated completely offline once registered (other than the Framing and Mosaic Wizard). We’re looking into the site outage now.

Jared

Thanks for letting us know. SGP was working perfectly just two nights ago. As soon as I hit add to my sequence the program freezes. It also comes up with an error to check update servers when starting up which didn’t happen the other night either.

Anything we can check on our end?

The server check at launch would have been affected by the site being offline. Basically SGP checks that you are online and then checks the servers. That should eventually timeout but seems like that wasn’t getting handled correctly. But Image download should not be changed by SGP being offline.

Jared

My original question was not about SGP servers being offline. It was about a hang condition when using Frame and Focus. The add-on question kind of hijacked the thread of my original question, which remains unanswered.

Original question still stands (what you asked) because I am having the same problem as well which I mentioned. I mentioned the other issue because I thought it might have been related.

It seems most have addressed this by making sure the camera is on a dedicated USB port, the USB Limit is under 40 and using a high quality USB cable. Also using a USB2 cable to force USB2 speeds may also help to address it.

We’ve seen a lot of success with their 64 bit drivers in SGP4 (64bit version). But I can’t necessarily guarantee that will completely address the issue either.

Jared

Well, yes, I have had problems, in other equipment setups, with USB, which I resolved by running a dedicated USB cable from the computer directly to the device. It seems to be a common problem with USB.

These kind of problems are why I am using a StarTech ST7300USBME 7 port industrial USB 3.0 Hub, which is a high quality, and expensive, hub which is robustly built for industrial usage, and I can hook up a dc power supply to it (sometimes the problem is that not enough dc power is sourced through the cable). And I got the best USB cables I could locate. But I guess that is not the only problem with the USB.

Still, Jared’s post is helpful because I had been thinking that the problem was with SGP or the ZWO driver. So, tonight I will be trying different USB connection strategies, and see what works. On the other hand, running a dedicated USB line is a step backword for my cable management strategy.

I’ll try this out tonight and report back my results.

I tried running a USB3 cable directly from my laptop to the ASI1600MM-COOL, and the hang problem went away. But then I found that I am having a problem with USB disconnects to the camera on my guidescope (which is also an ASI1600MM but uncool). I believe that I am in USB Hell. I’ve been there before. Maybe I need to step back and take a look at my whole USB setup. Just accept the slower speed as a tradeoff for reliability? Question? Would I be better off (more reliable) ditching USB 3 and just run everything off of USB2? Is USB2 more reliable than USB3 in the AP context? If so, can I just replace the USB3 cables with USB2 cables? Do I need to replace my USB3 hub with a USB2 hub? Or can I just replace the cables. Should I replace SGP3 with SGP4 64bit? (SGP4 is a beta so I am a bit leary of that). Any other advice you can give me to escape from USB hell?

Strange, a few nights ago the software was running perfectly. Then last night I had the freeze issue, same setup, same ports being used, nothing changed.

Didn’t mean the hijack, I thought the issue might have been related to the other issue.

Best of luck.

The important thing is I got my question answered. At least I know that what I have is a USB problem.

gehmdt@gmail.com

94FF9084706443638FC38F565817B2B7.png

Good thread with USB information.
I have an EDGE HD8 with an ASI1600MM Cooled and every so often, SGP hangs up during a download. I’m using a USB3 to a Minix mini PC and have the USB limit to 40. I also had the Startech powered hub, but have since removed it when I received my new GEM45 mount. This has allowed me to eliminate 4 cables. The only solution is to shutdown SGP with Windows Taskmanager and then fire up SGP again. Of course, one has to wait again for the camera to cool down, but there’ s typically no problem after that.
I’ll keep an eye on this problem and if it happens again, I’ll send in my logs.

My system hangs also sometimes.
I have noticed that it is always when the cooling of my asi294MM camera is above 90% of cooling power.
So, when I set the desired temperature 5 degrees higher (-15 instead of -20), the cooling power decreases to 80% my camera never hangs.
I hope this solves your problems too.

I tried some new cables yesterday evening. I used shorter USB 2.0 cables, rather than the longer USB 3.0 cables that I had been using. I did not have problems with USB after the new cables were installed. I was not able to complete my evaluation, by actually imaging, because it clouded up at that point. I will try again tonight. But it does look like USB cables was my problem.