Image not downloaded in allotted time:Moravian G3 16200 camera:

On my second night out to a super dark sky, I encountered this problem repeatedly and lost over 4 hours of prime dark sky time.

I restarted SGP and the problem resolved itself.

I encountered the same issue though just exactly once on the previous night.

I am also attaching a part of the log. Why is ASCOM throwing out of memory exception? What is the workaround? I have 8GB of memory and nothing else running other than SGP and Phd

4/9/2016 3:59:28 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM Camera Error : Exception of type ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown.
at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters)
at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 294
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Camera.get_ImageArray() in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Camera.cs:line 361
at e8.j(c6 A_0, hs& A_1)

Please don’t include partial logs or paste logs into posts. For more information about asking for help, please take a look here:

As for the error… I cannot say. This is an error thrown by your camera driver… it is just propagated and shown to you by SGPro:

4/9/2016 3:59:28 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM Camera Error : Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown.

We would need to see the Camera logs to help troubleshoot.

I get similar memory issues with a Moravian G4-16000. When you have SGP running also open Windows Task Manager and keep a close eye on SGP’s memory usage. If you find the memory (private working set) steadily increases with each sub capture then you know you will hit a problem at some point (usually when usage reaches >600MB).

What I have to do is restrict the number of targets per sequence to 3 or less, have SGP set to re-use the Window, and manually close the window shortly after the image has downloaded so there are none open at all. This causes SGP to (eventually) release the memory it was using and the total does not increase - or it increases slowly such that it doesn’t interfere during a normal session. If I just leave the image window open then memory usage incrementally increases and on the 5th/6th sub the download will fail with a System.OutOfMemory error…

This has nothing to do with how much memory you have installed (or free) - I have 32GB of RAM with 80% free and it still does it.

ChrisH

Chris,
Thanks for your post.
I saw an earlier query from you and followed this advice during my imaging session yesterday. I kept Task manager running and made sure that SGP working set didn’t get crazy high.

As a result, I had zero issues in over 6 hours of imaging last night. This might be the workaround that fixes the issue.

Hmm… You shouldn’t have to do that. I’ll take a look to see if there is any reason we would not be releasing memory

1 Like

Just a note that I’ve had the same issue with my QSI690. SGP is not releasing the memory and I’ve been able to fix it with the method mentioned above.

Good that there is a work around for this … I have this issue too every time… but no good for those of us who leave the rig running unsupervised, which I thought was the whole point of SGP?

I have a 16200 on order and this will hopefully be resolved soon? Since the issue can be replicated by two different cameras manufactured by two different entities, does this allow the conclusion that SGP is the issue? I think the work around is totally useless for those who intended to use SGP as it is advertised. I can’t sit around the machine to keep the memory usage down as it images all night long. At this point I usually only have a 30% success rate with captures given the issues with the focus routine and other quirks. Having to commit to this work around is a real problem.

swag72,

What camera are you using?

I’m using a QSI683

So,

The issue is with multiple cameras and multiple manufacturers, although similar models.

Well, you are right you shouldn’t have to do that… That said, this issue does not seem to be too prominent. Some users see it, others do not (same camera and all). This makes the issue very difficult to track.

Also, some of you are fairly long time SGPro users who have never said anything about this behavior in the past. When did it start happening?

Specifics like, it happens most when:

• The sequence is taking normal images
  • Auto focus
  • Centering
  • Or whatever

Would be extremely helpful.

Also, I could be mistaken, but I think the workaround stated that if you close the main imaging window once after sequence start, memory starts behaving itself. It’s not that I think this is acceptable, just trying to provide options while we look at this.

I don’t think the workaround is well documented. At least I don’t fully understand it. But then again I am kind of dense. Maybe that is a good place to start. Maybe it is not that big of a deal. I am okay with workarounds. To those who have actually experienced this. How do they continue to image, and can they hit multiple targets unattended?

Ken,
I get this error message all the time while taking normal images, but my images always download. I’ve never lost a sub because of this error. I just ignore the error because it didn’t seem legit. I first noticed this error with the first beta that included the (!) alert next to Target List in the sequencer window.

I don’t believe I see the error on anything but normal Light images (no errors on autofocus, centering, flats, etc). I’ll try to pay more attention to when the error pops up.

EDIT: SX694 Trius CCD

Hi Ken,
I have been using SGP for years but didnt image for about 4 months due to our weather here.

I upgraded several things at once so hard to say what caused what. I guess the camera upgrade was the biggest and so it was easy to blame it’s ASCOM driver.

Camera: from QSI683 to MI G316200.
PhD: 2.5 to 2.6
SGP to the latest version

Prior to my dark site outing I shot numerous bias, dark and flat frames. No issues whatsoever.

On night 1: I lost 1 frame. I didnt think much of it.
On night 2 I lost practically everything. This prompted the post here.
On night 3: I rebooted the machine, shutdown everything else and pretty much stayed up all night watching the subs. No failures whatsoever.
I was groggy in the morning but atleast I got my data.

Autofocus, centering etc have not caused any issues for me. It has always been light frames.

This has been my experience as well. I started noticing the error when the alert box was added to the target list. Like Joel, my frames always download, so I didn’t think much of it. I’ll get a log next time it happens if that will be helpful.

Tim

Anyone willing to share an sgf file where this occurs?

I too have only had it since that alert (!) next to the target list in the sequencer window. To be fair it doesn’t appear to actually stop anything downloading.

I’m on my way out soon - I’ll upload a log when i get back.

Here you go:
SGP Sequence File
Log File

I have a sgp log file where it happens.