Importing Starry Nights Observing List Broken

Version 3.1.0.198

I’ve had success in the past importing Starry Nights format observing lists into SGP. I’ve used text files from a spreadsheet with the object name in the first column, RA & Dec in columns L & M, and 16 columns total. It is very helpful creating sequences for variable star runs. As I said, success in the past many times but not recently.

Today I tried and failed. It seem no matter what I do with the coordinate formatting the RA is always 00h00m00.00s and the Dec is 00°00’00.00". This includes using this attached file that was generated with Starry Nights: Observing List 2.txt (2.1 KB)

Has anyone else noticed a problem with this?

Also wouldn’t it be worthwhile to have an import from a CSV file with three entries/line (name, RA, Dec)?

TIA

Does Starry Night have an option where you can select or order the data columns in the export? I don’t actually have SN installed any longer? The SGPro importer expects 15 tab delimited columns where locations are last (RA is the 14th col and Dec is the 15th) and name is first. Never seen an export like this before.

Sorry to say that I don’t have Starry Night either. I got that list from a friend that does and I’m sure he took all the default settings (if any). Looking at the file shows 16 tab delimited columns with the RA and Dec in 12 & 13.

I know at one time it worked. About 3 a.m. this morning I downloaded an earlier version of SGP, installed it, and then did a successful import from both the attached file and a text file I’d created without the help of SN. I want to say it was v3.0.2.94 but I’m not 100% sure.

Eh. Either way, I have fixed it… SGPro will no longer make assumptions about column location. Right now it’s in the beta for 3.1. Will move it to 3.0 shortly and then make both available for download

Tks for the quick fix!

I know this is an old thread, but it comes closest to what I’m looking for as a new SGP4 user.
I have not found an export function for SN8P anywhere within the program. I do have my SN8P and SkySafari 6 Pro linked via LiveSky.com. There, you can export the observing list as either a CSV or Skylist which as far as I can tell aren’t compatible with SGP. SGP can’t read either the CSV or Skylist file. The Skylist file can be opened in a TXT file format, but when trying to import it crashes SGP. The CSV file can be saved as a TXT file also, but does the same thing by crashing SGP.

I did discover that when the observing list is created all the DEC arc second times are changed to zero, I have reported this to simulation curriculum.

If anyone knows how to export a SN8P list to SGP to import targets, I would really like to know the steps needed. The thought of having to hunt and peck thought Telescpious to find plate solved photos really dissuades me from moving forward with SGP.

Thanks,
Steven