Install older SGP version

Hi there,

I might be one of the rare breeds who hardly upgrades the software if everything still works for me. So what I have been doing is staying at a somewhat latest version but it’s a version 3.1.0.469 or something.

Now I understand that version 3.2 is out and there’s a new password associated to my account which tbh it beats me as to why my password has changed if I don’t plan on using the subscription at least for the time being or ever. So does that mean that if I install the same old version (which thankfully I still have the installer for) that I have been using for a good while now my old password won’t work?

It is important for me that it does because I don’t want to end up being stuck at v3.2 and knowing there is a bug that will never get a fix unless I go for subscription hence the reason for my reservation.

Thanks

You can continue to use 3.1 but you won’t be able to license new 3.1 machines. Once we remove the old licensing servers 3.1 will fail to check for the license and may fail to startup in this scenario. If you want to continue using 3.1 your best bet is to do so in an offline mode.

Your password changed as we migrated to a new licensing system/servers and since passwords are stored using a one way hashing method there is no way for us to move that to a new system.

Your old password won’t work because it cannot reach the licensing servers to authorize a new installation. Also 3.2 does NOT require an active maintenance plan so you can use it forever without paying a single cent over what you already have, but you will need to use the new licensing site to get your personal key to authorize new machines (similar to how this was done before in 3.1).

Jared

Thank you for the detailed reply Jared makes sense. Much appreciated.

So that I have understood this correctly, when the 3.1 licensing server goes, SGP will fail to startup and I need to use offline mode to keep on using 3.1?

How do I choose the offline mode? What options will I lose by doing that?

Also does that mean if I want to use SGP in an online mode I will have to update to 3.2?

Thanks in advance.