Lunatico GNS support (included version)

Probably should wait, but the 4.1 release is not too far away. Been in beta now for almost a month and it seems pretty stable right now.

Will wait then, thanks!

I am using latest SGP in a Windows10 Enterprise OS. When I select use GNS notifications in SGP, SGP programme completely switches off as soon as I launch a sequence. If I launch GNSUI manually, the remote app connects to it fine. Not a firewall issue. Any thoughts?
The set up is on a new PrimaluceLab Eagle4 computer connected in host mode to my home WiFi.

I am not sure what you mean by “completely switches off”. Can you elaborate please? What version of SGPro are you using?

Hi Dean,

it seems to me you’d be better installing the latest GNS version - just a guess, but I think SGP is trying to locate the GNS object (not sure why it fails - but a fresh install will fix that for sure), failing, and crashing.

You can get the latest version from https://lunaticoastro.com/gns-observatory-monitoring/

Hope this helps,

I have installed the latest version for GNS today (renamed the original etc) and moved the latest version into the SGP folder. No improvement. Select GNS in notification, start a sequence and the entire SGP switches off.

Ken, by completely switches off I mean SGP instantly closes. I have to relaunch SGP again.

Version 4.0.0.700

Version 4 must use the version that SGPro distributes and not the one you have installed. Version 4.1 beta is smarter and will use the version of GNS you have installed and not distribute GNS in the SGPro installer. I cant remember exactly, but I think that maybe on versions of SGPro before 4.1, you may need a special version of GNS? Maybe @jaime knows?

Jamie, I have just downloaded and installed the latest version again. Same result. Notifications left switched off, SGP runs a sequence fine. Switch on GNS notification in SGP, start sequence and the SGP instantly disappears and has to be launched again. GNSUI run manually and app on iPhone connects fine.

I only downloaded the latest version of GNS because I had this problem with version shipped with SGP. However, downloading the new version has not helped.

Hi,

indeed pre 4.1 beta versions of SGP needed the version embedded with it. My bad I assumed we were still talking about that version.

So: SGP pre 4.1 beta, needs its own version.
4.1 beta onward, will work with any version installed in the computer.

Launching GNS beforehand fixes the problem?

Incidentally: GNSUI.exe belongs to the custom (pre 4.1 beta) SGP version. The current version of GNS is a single executable, GNS.exe.

I will put the original version back in the SGP directory.
Launching GNS first did not fix the problem. Same outcome when I start a sequence.

Unfortunately Windows is not very welcoming about moving things around - the places for the files are hardwired in the registry (once registered, that is).
It is really difficult to diagnose. I think uninstalling may be the only good option - at least the GNS.

Really not sure what else to suggest.

Thank you Jamie for giving this some thought. I have tried reinstalling the GNS without effect. I am reluctant to re- install SGP but maybe I should.
The problem appears to be a conflict with SGP and the GNS installed given the dramatic way in which SGP instantly closes itself down completely when I start a sequence.
The environment is Windows10 Enterprise on a new PrimaLuce Lab Eagle4 computer that I access remotely through Microsoft Remote Desktop. Given the GNS connects fine to the iPhone app when GNS is launched manually, I can’t see that the environment is the problem but I am not an expert.

I uninstalled the GNS by simply deleting the file, but that won’t remove registry values of course. Is there a better way to uninstall it?

No problem, Dean.

Yes, the “proper” uninstall (from windows add-remove programs) will clean the registry keys. I have uploaded for you the last version with the older schema of things (GNSUI.exe etc…) here:

https://lunaticoastro.com/GNS/GNS-Install-1.0.0.2b.exe

If you install then uninstall that - should clean your system.

If you then want to get the current version, it’s here:

https://lunaticoastro.com/GNS/GNS-Install.exe

Thank you for the support and advice. Sadly nothing worked. I will give up for now and try again when the next version of SGP is available.

Dean

Sorry to hear that, Dean.

Maybe in the meantime you can use our free LLLOD program to somehow alleviate the situation? https://lunaticoastro.com/lunatico-last-line-defence-observatory-monitoring/

Just a quick note for anyone struggling to get GNS working with the latest SG Pro version. Please visit our forum at lunaticoastro.com - Home where we can help you. I don’t want to hijack the MainSequence forum. @Ken and Jared, we’ve added a Developers section to the forum if you’d like to carry on the conversation there.

1 Like