Meridian flip question

I am getting to the point with comfort with SGP and am ready to give the meridian flip feature a try. My question is for those who do not have a automated rotator. After the flip, what kind of success do you have with a guidestar landing on the guider chip? Also, well does the guiding software do with resuming guiding?

It might be helpful to know what equipment you are using? Is this a built in guide chip, or a separate autoguider camera?

I don’t use a rotator. I use an OAG with Lodestar for autoguiding with PHD2 and always have good guide stars before and after a meridian flip. PHD2 automatically chooses a guide star after the flip and it has never failed me.
HTH.

Oh yeah, forgot to add those details. I am currently using my OAG with a QHY5II-L mono for guiding. The main camera is a ST2000XM, so I do have the built-in guide chip. I am guiding/imaging at 1600mm roughly via my c9.25 with focal reducer in place. My mount is a CGE-Pro which has worked pretty well. I have been using 2sec guide exposures if that helps.

It is encouraging that you have great success. What focal length are you working at?

I have a TEC140 at f/5.4 so focal length is around 750mm. Quite a bit wider than your C9.25. I imagine that getting guide stars is a bit more challenging at your longer focal length, but it still shouldn’t be a problem.

Are you getting your CGE to meridian flip if YES, can you share your settings!

1 Like