Millisecond Resolution Timestamp in Header

Hi Ken, Jared and Joel,

I’m currently involved in a pro/am programme whereby accurate time-stamps are essential. Having a timestamp that includes milliseconds, e.g. YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.SSS or something very similar, in the FITS header would be of great help.

The timestamp should be the time the camera was triggered to open the shutter for each exposure. At present I synchronise my system time using a GPS doggle and a recognised SNTP server. I appreciate that due to the PC’s scheduling of tasks and SGPro that inconsistencies would remain but this facility would enable me to take better account of the delays involved to characterise the SGPro/Camera/Header relationship.

Thanks,
Dave

1 Like

Hi Ken, Jared and Joel,

Further to my previous feature request posting, I’m been in touch with the support guys at QSI Imaging in relation to timing of exposures. They responded with the following statement:

“We return the start time with 3 decimals, i.e. down to ms, However, it appears though SGPro truncates this. I will ask one of our software engineers to contact the guys at SGP to find out if this is intentional or not.”

Accordingly, I’m wondering if this information will help in clarifying the detail of my request.

Kind regards,
Dave

+1 for millisec in the header

Kind Regards,
Horia

This will be in the next release.

Thank you for your patience.
Jared

Hi Jared,

Many thanks, this is really good to know and should prove most helpful.

Kind regards,
Dave

Hi Jared,

Further to your previous (Mar 31) in which you indicated inclusion of the millisecond resolution timestamp in the next release. I neglected to thank you for this change when it appeared in version 478. :smiley:

Cheers,
Dave

Hi,

Sorry for bumping up an old conversation.
I’ve installed the latest SGP 3 version - but still only have 1 second precision.

Is there a toggle to switch this feature on/off? Or has the feature been removed in the latest version?

Cheers,
Claudio.

Hi Claudo,

Here’s an example of the ‘DATE-OBS’ ‘2021-05-30T23:04:01.3240000’, keyword from a recent image of mine. As you will see the resolution appears to be recorded as we requested when running version 3.2.0.660, as it is in a number of earlier versions since Jared resolved the issue.
I’m not aware of this being a switchable option, it’s just worked since the fix in my experience. I hope this answer your question. You may wish to clarify that the ASCOM driver for your specific camera makes this resolution visible to SGPro?

Cheers,
Dave

Thank you.
I had a quick look at the logs, and contacted Atik.
Seems like it might be a problem on their end.

They said their ASCOM driver should record time to 0.01 seconds, but it seem it doesn’t!
They marked it as a bug they will investigate. Let’s hope they can figure it out soon.

Hi Claudio,

Sorry for misspelling your name in my last post.
It’s good to hear that you may have pinned down the source of the problem you’re having. As you say, let’s hope Atik find and fix it soon.

Cheers,
Dave