Robofocus temperature input to autofocus?

I just discovered a ‘Robofocus Server’ driver and upgraded to it thinking it might help import the temperature data into the SGP autofocus system allowing me to use temperature change to trigger autofocus. Sadly, it still shows NA in temperture.

1. Am I missing a method?

2. Possible future enhancements?

Carl

Carl, what focuser and controller are you using?

Hey Joel, I’m using the TI Robofocus stepper and their controller.

I have a moonlight focuser with stepper that works on my CAT with the Robofocus controller too. But mainly I’m interested in the Robo-to Robo on my TMB 115 classic focuser

Doesn’t the Robofocus controller have a temp sensor in it? I guess I don’t understand what you’re asking. Are you saying that the temperature is not displayed in the temperature module in SGP? Does it display when you use the Moonlite on your CAT?

No temp is displayed in SGP. When I open the Robofocus control program, it shows the temperature, in the funky “units”. If I’m not mistaken, on the Robo system the temp sensor is in the controller, away from the heat of the stepper motor. For both scopes, with Robo or Moonlight, I get an NA in SGP, but have data in the Robo program.

OK. Is the “Robofocus control program” a standalone program or does it
also use ASCOM? Since SGP uses ASCOM, what ASCOM driver are you using with
the Robofocus and SGP? Where did you get it from?

The robofocus control program and the Ascom driver on their website are the ones I use.

It’s unclear to me what ascom driver is on the Robofocus website. Is it just for automated dome control or is it also for the Robofocus? IDK.

Just to be clear, does SGP control the focuser when connected? When you
choose the focuser in SGP, what is displayed in the dropdown menu?

Take a look at the ascom website and see if the Robofocus ascom version you
are using is the same as listed on the ascom website:
http://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/FocuserDrivers.htm

If they don’t match I would suggest uninstalling the current one and
install the version on the ascom website.

I’m using the right driver. Everything works perfectly in SGP choosing the Robofocus driver, except temperature. It does not read the temp. It has an NA in the temperature.

All other features work just fine. The Ascom driver is updated for 6.2, and again all features except temperature reading work fine. The temp reading has always said NA. I thought originally that it was unsupported. But, I saw on CN where there was an option to use ASCOM robofocus server. Whn I use that driver it also opens the robofocus control program from TI. Kinda like connecting to my AP mount in SGP opens the AP control program. When I go to the Robofocus control program it shows a temperature reading, but SGP still says NA.

Do others using the Robofocus system have their temperature display in SGP?

The Robofocus server I am talking about is the one in the ASCOM link you provided, Robocontrol program 5.xxx.

@CarlN In your RoboFocus help file it states:
“Temperature. This is a passive display of the temperature. The display automatically updates at the rate set by the entries in the temperature compensation screen (though independent of whether temperature compensation is actually turned on), or when a refresh or other action is made. The units (Raw, F, or C) and calibration are selected in the temperature compensation screen. Note that Celsius and Fahrenheit cannot be selected until temperature calibration is performed.”

You mention that " it shows the temperature, in the funky units". This would suggest to me that you never actually did the calibration mentioned above - so the unit is not putting out C° or F° that SGP can read. (Not fact here - just my take on what might be happening).

I have RoboFocus also - but never did the calibration either and SGP always showed NA for temp - just like you are seeing. It never bothered me as I never did refocus based on temp.

Kinch

Thanks Kinch, But that doesn’t solve it.

I had calibrated my Controller a long time ago. Must have lost calibration along the way. I just recalibrated it in the RoboFocus Control Program. The funky units (where 32f=0c=546funky units) are now in Fahrenheit in my RoboFocus Control Program. But, still NA in SGP. I tried Celsius, didn’t work. I can see the focuser position load into SGP when I connect to the Focuser, but no matter what I do I only get NA in temp.

Does SGP connect to the RoboFocus controller in such a way that it asks for the temperature data? Or, is that only with TemperHum devices? Heck, maybe TI uses a TemperHum sensor, I don’t know. But I do have look for TemperHum devices checked in the SGP Options.

We’ll have to let Ken or Jared answer that one…like I said I always just had NA (assuming it was because I never did a calibration). Presently I use a StickStation for temp input (and that shows inSGP, no problem) …but as yet have not got to where I use temp as a trigger for a focus run…I just focus every 20 minutes…my TAK FSQ seems to require that as a minimum.

Well, it’s solved. I thought it best to sort this out prior to upgrading. But I decided to go ahead and update. Now when I use the RoboFocus Server driver in SGP it shows the temp!!! When I use the Basic driver, it now displays 100 as the temp no matter what I do. I can live with the Server driver opening a sub window that is the RoboFocus control Progam. I liked not having another thing open, which is what the basic driver does, but this will work.

Good you got it sorted. I was outside in the obs just now playing with the RoboFocus normal driver & server driver too with Ascom Observing Conditions Hub as the weather info input. Too much cloud for imaging anyway :cry:
I was getting nowhere (although I can get that 100 reading) and I still suspect that I was not getting an actual temp reading from the RoboFocus sensor because I have never calibrated it.

Bottom line - you have the readings coming in to SGP - so that is where you want to be (almost).

Bump!
Mine is on 100. But I still would like to see the normal temperature for compensation, or, for my FSQ106, focus per degree celcius. That would save a lot of time on a LRGB parfocal set. Like Kinch mentioned, I now have to refocus every 20 minutes.