point yeah… I want to see a cool shot. Sharpcap does stacking live. (you
set the exposure and it will stack each as it’s taken). I already have a
elec filter wheel and filters on the way (SHO and LRGB) so I will
eventually come around. I’ll likely get a ASI1600MM as my 071 is color
only. Or I’ll play with filters and the 290mm for a while. Still it seems
easy to give that choice so I don’t have to switch software simply to
capture a quick one shot or moon, planet etc. We’ll no need to jump in and
buy at this point then.

ok, so your right the other aps still save fits as b/w. png is fine for a fun shot, but not for real shots… but I can use sharpcap for frame and focus/color preview (instant gratification)
So SGP is still top choice for me.

How do I use the ipad? I have sky safari plus. I will be running SGP on my laptop via wifi.
how to interface ipad control? I looked in help file, and didn’t see anything, searched on here and didn’t find a ipad thread in a search.

Currently I run stellarium on the laptop and since I’m using Team viewer is tends to be rather intensive to drag and scroll around from in the house.
It might be nice to run scope go to from the ipad. Or iphone?
Is there a doc file that answers all my questions?

thanks

You can find the info here:
http://mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/TelescopesMounts.html

Allow External Control of Telescope will allow your device to connect to SGP like it were a SkyFi. The bottom of the linked page has important settings that you’ll need to pay attention to for SkySafari.

Thanks,
Jared

AWESOME - I got it setup and working. However what might I change to eliminate (frequent) losses of connection?
hmmm moved inside the house and doesn’t seem to be dropping any more. Maybe the range/signal to the ipad. I’l keep testing and poking at it.
I have scope setup to laptop in garage. (on wifi) I run it by Team viewer from in the house.
ipad in garage would drop out, in the house it seems to be stable (so far).
Team viewer and laptop and desktop and ipad all on same wifi connection.

thinking it has to do with wifi connection to ipad in garage, but should have better range. hmmm

Probably just better connectivity. I’m not sure how sensitive SkySafari is to losing a single packet. Also I would turn down your polling rate (in SkySafari) to once per second.

Thanks,
Jared

Jared, I think Ron Kramer’s suggestion was to have a color display option - for display purposes only - which would not affect the saved image. Much like the “screen transfer function” in PixInsight. It adjusts the image so you can see it better for working with it, but without making any permanent changes to the image itself, saved or otherwise. He was just postulating why not offer a similar feature for a color preview, which does not actually save the images that way? I thought it was a good suggestion personally.

James

VERY old post of mine, lots has changed since then (no sky safari needed) no 071 owned. But I have gotten a ASI094Mc. (full frame). And I’ve gotten into live broadcasting of my sessions. (good for SGP) as most people ask what it is and say they’ve never seen it. The nightskiesnetwork people broadcast 99.9% sharpcap. This lets people watching view a color stacked live image.

As a quality purist, I tried sharpcap, but have gone back to SGP for obvious reasons. However I still would like to see debayered previews (like the other software option offer). (save debayered or just save as usual and let us view debayered).

What I have to do now is shoot with SGP, then run DSS live which stacks the b/w (non debayered images) then stacks them live so broadcast watchers (and myself) can see what I have so far.

This is fine for my 1600MMpro - as there is nothing to debayer. But broadasting with the 094MC it would be awesome to at least see a debayered preview. (the other software options do this).

Otherwise there isn’t much reason to watch me broadcast as each sub is the same as the previous. = (

A debayer when saving would be best, since then DSS live could stack color live.

Here is a SGP exposed, but DSS live stack (while live broadcasting). SGP recording R G B and Ha. “Live” stacked them for viewers could see a more final result.

having a debayer option would certainly open up a new market of users for SGP.

1 Like

I don’t think this is something we would add as that really starts to get into processing. As a preview that’s one thing (and something we’ll likely add in the distant future). But you’d also likely want to color balance and such as the images are coming out of SGP. I wonder if there is a way to script PixInsight to pickup incoming images, debayer, color calibrate, do any other processing steps you might want, and then add it to a stack of similarly processed images? Just thinking that for your use case you’ll probably want more than just a simple “debayer and output a FITs or TIFF”

Thanks,
Jared

Hmm I was under the impression that DSS live would also debayer the end result, so it seems on this page:
http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/live.htm

It doesn’ that I can see. I’ll check the page - link thanks

I didn’t see anything. (other than the photo of DSS with a color image (must have come from Sharpcap)
I searched for debayer on the page and nothing.
Nope - it doesn’t it STACKS.

Everyone else that broadcasts a imaging session uses APT and mostly sharpcap. Hundreds of people view and watch each night and what do they see? SHARPCAP - so they do they buy after they learn? SHARPCAP. It would be good thing for SGP. I use it and people always ask “what program is that”.

SGP - but it won’t debayer = (

Last night - broadcasting the session. ONE Frame and focus sub 120 seconds.
saved, but I had to manually load it into PI to debayer and save and post online for viewers to see. = (
ONE F&F no darks, flats or anything. This is as shot from SGP - but had to be processed to view. = (
Thought the COLD AND ICY FOG yet…

1 Like

UPDATE!!! someone in the DSS group explained it to me. To do this…

1. Run DDS (not live) and stack subs from SGP using the proper options until the stack works.
  2. Exit (those settings will be used for DSS LIVE)
  3. Run DSS Live and point to the SGP files that are incoming to stack live.

They will stack and be in color!

1 Like

Hey Ron, if that doesn’t work out for you then check out the Atik Infinity. Seems like a good solution to your needs.

1 Like

I was curious about debayering and ended up here…

When I want to inspect my capture as a whole to fill the screen, lets say it ends up at 31% …any ratio that’s not a division by 2, the preview will show patterns because of the bayer matrix.

Same thing goes for auto-stretching. With an OSC, the auto-stretch does not work if the image is not debayered, even more with multi-narrowband filters. Debayering should occur, then auto-stretching every channel separately.

These features are basic for a color camera usage, and of course mono cameras are not affected.
So… Is SGP only aimed at mono+filters camera users? Please explain.

1 Like

As Ken said earlier, here are the reasons they are not adding debayering support, and he is spot on.