SGP fails to center

Hello!

I’ve found a few threads pertaining to this very issue but can’t seem to find a solid resolution.

I’m using a Celestron CGX.

When I try to center on the target I have framed up using the “Framing and Mosaic” wizard, I find that the software will slew to my target but will never center it. It’s kind of like the RA goes off into la-la land and gets stuck somewhere in the “400’s” without ever getting any closer.

I have tried the following:

• 2 different hand controllers
  • StarSense auto align (with and without “solve and sync”)
  • Quick align followed by a "Solve and Sync’

It’s never a problem moving the mount to my target, nor is is an issue rotating my camera. The issue is centering on the target. The RA never starts to zero in on it.

Thoughts?

It is interesting that the error is all in RA, not in DEC.
The usual suspects are:

• gear backlash - seems strange RA is only affected
  • different epochs
  • different time - ??
  • conflicting with a built in pointing model
  • something blocking sync commands (if sync method is used)

Which of the sync methods are you using? I cannot use sync on my Paramount and have to use target offset. Might be worth experimenting with that.
good luck

Do you have the latest Celestron ASCOM mount driver? I had this exact problem with my AVX Mount. Chris (Driver author) reported that there was potential error introduced when a Celestron mount did the “overshoot and approach from positive” thing Celestrons do. The time it took to overshoot and return impacted the final centering. He did a fix in version 6.1.7350. It absolutely fixed my very similar issue.

My problem didn’t happen all the time - it worked in some sky locations better than others. I was setting my max error to 32 pix, but my failure plateau only got as high as about 60 pixels. Of course this would depend on camera resolution and focal length, so if you are higher in either of these then mine your error plateau would be higher. After I updated the driver, I reduced my max error to 24 and most the time I hit less than 12.

Hi Buzz,

I’m clicking on “Solve and Sync” by clicking on the “Scope Centering” button from the list of shortcut buttons at the top of the screen.

Target offset? I’m not familiar with that. Something for me to google and research…

Hey Jim.

I was one rev out on the driver. I’ve just updated to 6.1.7350. Interesting note in the release notes there that look to pertain to this issue…

We have cloudy skies forecast for the next week. Can’t wait to get out and see if this is simply a driver issue!

Thanks !

this is a setting on the SGP control panel, telescope tab - under sync behavior

Ah … and there it is. Something else to experiment with. Thanks!!!