SX814 Driver

Hi,
I am trying to use SGP for the first time with my first CCD camera, the Starlight Express Trius SX814.

I am getting a lot of crashes and when I use continuous shooting in frame and focus it quickly becomes non-responsive. Laptop appears fine, I’m using supplied cable direct to USB so I’m now wondering if it’s a driver issue.

Can anyone advise the best driver to use, there is a dedicated Sx814 driver and an H814 ascom driver on Sxccd site (is H814 and SX814 the same camera?) or there is an ascom driver on the ascom site which appears to be a generic SX camera driver.

I also have the SX filter wheel, Lodestar OAG and use EQMOD mount control.

Which driver should I be using?

Thanks
Jon

Hi Jon,

I’m using Bret’s Ascom driver which can be found in this group (and I think this is also the Ascom driver SX are recommending): https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sx-ascom/info

Are you using the Lodestar at the same time via PHD2 or similar? I’ve had problems with this which I could solve by using the ‘native’ SX driver on PHD2 for the Lodestar and the above Ascom driver for the 814. I’ve also had similar issues to yours when the camera was in the process of cooling down. I have since adopted the practice of not shooting frames when the camera tries to get to temperature.

Hope this help!

Mike

Hi Mike,
Yes I have PHD2 running as well.
The camera cooling was off, I am just learning SGP, so was moving from using the simulators to actual rig.
I will try the driver you suggest and see if that helps. I’m surprised cooling would affect it but will also try that to at least rule it out.

Thanks for the help.
Jon

Hello Jon,

I also have an SXV M25C CCD and it works with SGP, while using the 6.2.1.17140 - Production ASCOM ICamera2 Driver, which you can download here.

Else, you would also need the Latest SX camera drivers: which you could find here…
https://www.sxccd.com/drivers-downloads

Good luck

Martin

Hi Martin,

I have been trying for hours to load that driver without success, the camera shows up in devices as ECHO2 with an error 028 message - no compatible drivers.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, I’m stumped!

Thanks
Jon

Hi Martin,

Which of the two driver are you having issues with? What operating system are you using?

Hi Mike.

It’s the 6.2.1.17140 - Production ASCOM ICamera2 Driver and I am using Windows 10.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Did you already install the general driver for SX cameras from the SX website (the Ascom driver needs is to work)? You can get direct support for the Ascom driver by joining the Yahoo group I linked above.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think you are right, Terry mailed me last night saying the same. I uninstalled the SX driver before adding the ASCOM one so will try again when I get home tonight.
Thanks for the advice.
Jon

Problem solved, thanks for the responses.
Mike, you were correct that I needed both drivers, once the SX driver was installed I reinstalled the ASCOM driver and all seems fine now.

Thanks again.

Jon