Weird problem with new Canon 6D and SGP

Hi Guys,
I have just set everything up and taken another quick run through the three file saving variations and none show any borders in SGP or Nebulosity and all are given as 5496 x 3670.
So still working OK here with the new cdraw file.
Cheers,
Bob.

It has been awhile since I worked with my Canon DSLR, but in short, saving the images as FITS includes the overscan, whereas CR2 does not. (The overscan may very well be there in the CR2 file also but perhaps software that reads the CR2, like PS, reads overscan info from the metadata and automatically crops it, I’m not sure.)

It shouldn’t affect the final outcome as long as you’re consistent. Awhile back, the setting to save the images as FITS was changed on my machine for whatever reason, so at the time all my lights were FITS and calibration were CR2 as they were taken at another time. PixInsight will complain that the geometry doesn’t match, but this is fixed by specifying the overscan settings in PixInsight. This allowed me to calibrate my FITS with my CR2 files without reshooting calibration frames.

At any rate, as long as you are consistent with acquisition, it shouldn’t affect the usability of the images but IIRC, it can throw off statistics. For that reason, I stick with CR2 when using my DSLR – it’s just easier.

I should have added the previous test was with version 2.4.2.8.

I have just upgraded to 2.4.2.9 and the borders returned. Updated cdraw with the file previously given and all now OK again. No borders.
Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Bob

The new dcraw files will not be distributed until 2.4.2.10.

Hi guys,

Problem solved. Operator error on my part. Your comment above Bob got me wondering if I upgraded to 2.4.2.9 before or after changing the cdraw file in SGP. I obviously lost track of the sequence of events, and must have upgraded after upgrading cdraw in 2.4.2.8, thereby reverting again to the old cdraw that was provided in 2.4.2.9. I just replaced the cdraw file in 2.4.2.9, and a frame and focus frame shows no border. Sorry for the hassle of trying to figure out a self - made problem.

Dean

Hi Dean,
No worries, I did wonder if that was the case which is why I went through the exercise.
Glad you got it sorted.
Cheers,
Bob.