Why does SGPro disconnect when APT doesn't?

The layers look like this:

SGP <==> ASCOM Telescope Driver <==> Telescope Driver <==> Telescope

I think SGP is self explanitory :slight_smile:

• ASCOM Telescope Driver sits on top of the telescope and makes your telescope ā€œlook likeā€ other telescopes to SGP. It makes it so we donā€™t have to have a separate implementation for each telescope.
  • Telescope Driver is what ASCOM uses to talk to the actual hardware. For most telescopes this is not really a ā€œdriverā€ per say but just a serial connection, thus it is crossed out.
  • Telescope - the actual telescope hardwareā€¦ your mount.

The log you attached is a record of communications between the mountā€™s ASCOM driver and your Mount. So the communication was dropped/timed out at that point. Some ASCOM logs also show the SGP side (where weā€™re asking it for things and what those values returned) but I donā€™t see it in that log.

Maybe? Itā€™s somewhere between ASCOM and your mount. This could also be a cable or a USB->Serial adapter. Or if youā€™re using a USB extension those are also highly suspect. I would try changing out the Serial Adapter as well as any usb cables and even trying another dedicated USB port on your machine just to rule out everythingā€¦and then if you still have issues try borrowing a mount.

Jared

Ive started having the same issue, only started a few weeks ago I think I did an upgrade to the latest version but also changed guide cam and to a proper Lynx astro Eqmod cable. Carted Du Ciel does not see a drop in connection and guiding continues fine, with no PHD2 error messages about it not being able to send guide commands but SGPro drops the connection to the mount. For the reason that PHD Can continue to guide, I suspect its an SGPro issue since PHD is constantly issues guide commands and it will throw an error if the mount is disconnected

Jared,
I have tried replacing all hardware elements, and even tried on a different computer. I have also uninstalled Ascom and drivers, and SGPro and re-installed. Still have the problem.

Hi BLINKY. Interesting. Same issue has appeared recently on my local forum too.

# HELP! Please. HEQ5 erratic behaviour.

Full details atā€¦

But in essence itā€™s the same issue. Random disconnection from SGPro with an HEQ5 mount. Whilst the discussion continues in a hardware related way, it sound exactly like what we have both seen. And feels more software related if other programs donā€™t disconnect.

I went back to my old cable - I could see timeouts in EQMod, sorry I have no fix! There was a post in my thread in SGL saying somebody fixed it by connecting to a USB2 port but Im sure I tried that before sending it back for a refund