353: Temp Comp - Set Min Threshold?

Is there a way to designate a minimum threshold for Temperature Compensation?

I’ve looked and haven’t found a setting for it. Maybe it is yet to come or I’m overlooking it? The temperature compensation routine seems to look for a minimum threshold for number of steps to move and compares it to the number of steps it calculated to move. Without a minimum set, it uses 15% of the focuser autofocus step size. On these rapidly cooling nights, my focus cannot keep up. I’d like to set a smaller minimum to have it react quicker.

Phil

Temperature compensation minimum threshold works as described in the history of v3.1.0.316.

Here is described where Custom Variables can be set:

Bernd

Bernd,

Perfect! Thank you.

Phil

We will be making this setting easier to access after 3.1 is released (part of the UI)

@Ken
Is this still a thing (setting a minimum step threshold for temperature compensation somewhere in SGP)?

DaveNL

I have not removed it if that’s what you’re asking, but I have also not tested it lately.

Also, I should note that sometimes this “secret” settings area is simply a “pre-UI” stop gap. If it’s useful to enough folks we’ll formalize it and add it to the UI.

Thanks @Ken

Is the default value still set at 2 steps?

If there is no plan to migrate “hidden/secret” settings like this into the UI, perhaps they could at least be added to the Help documentation (I could not seem to find it there at least - maybe I missed it?).

DaveNL

I could probably be convinced otherwise, but I am nervous about formalizing this method for settings… it’s not very user friendly and I feel like documenting moves it from a place we use to test features without disrupting the UI to “part of SGPro”. In all honesty, if this is a thing that needs to be adjustable, I’d rather take the time to fit it into the UI. We always resist knee-jerk reactions to add settings. Over time, that behavior leads to what resembles the inside of a 747 cockpit. There are areas in SGPro that have started to suffer from this and we will always add those areas to our backlog so we can clean them up and hide away more advanced features.

Yes, 2 steps. Not currently documented, but would be in the case where it was promoted to a user-defined setting.

@Ken
Fair point on the balancing act of flexibility vs ‘busy-ness’ of UI.

I would be curious to know why/how the value of 2 was arrived at. Or why one would want to change that (and if necessary, how would one determine the ‘optimal’ value)?

For now, the value of 2 seems acceptable for me.

DaveNL

It’s really just because there is either some measurable temperature change that makes no difference to your rig or to eliminate unnecessary movement of the focuser based on temperature variation that could just be noise or some error in the electronics that interpret temperature. 2 is the value we arrived at during beta because it seemed large enough to weed out erroneous movement and small enough that it never suppresses required movement. We are looking to see if there is evidence that this value is not universal for (almost) all rigs. If it needs to vary in order to be useful then it’ll need to go into the UI.

1 Like