Add Camera Mode to FITS Header

This request is specifically related to QHY cameras but I assume other cameras also have this feature.

The QHY600 has several operating Modes and whatever Gain and Offset is chosen will have different results in each mode (Fullwell depth / Noise).

The current FITS header only shows the gain and offset used for the image but not the Mode.

I currently have an issue that the Mode I was using for a Mosaic of images taken over a few months got changed at some point (probably when I had to fix a driver issue) and I cant see which images used what mode.

This is a problem because my Calibration frames have also been taken using different modes and I again don’t which uses what mode.

I would like to go back and redo the faulty calibration frames but I cant identify what mode was originally used to take the image subs.

That aside it would generally be useful to be able to see what mode was used to take an image as only being able to see gain in itself isn’t very useful.

The Mode is shown in the ASCOM driver so I assume is available for the FITS header.

3 Likes

I share MidnightLighting’s desire to have the QHY600 camera mode added to the FITS header.
Other software has added it (V).

Thanks
Steve

1 Like

I don’t mind adding this… A few questions.

There are 2 “modes” available. Specifically:

• Readout mode (I assume this is what you are after) => This is a number that means something different for each camera and SGPro has no ability to interpret.
  • FastReadoutMode => This is a true / false value. A camera can only implement one or the other and never both

I am uncertain which QHY implements, but I guess both can be added.

Lastly, this is obviously a non-standard header, but we like to play nice with the community at large and are willing to adopt the first chose name to avoid fragmentation for processing automation. ANyone know what it’s called elsewhere? Seems like maybe READOUTM?

1 Like

Ken here is the screenshot of the ASCOM QHYCCD Driver interface…

If you could Enumerate them in the FITs header that would be great (Literal Descriptions are NOT necessary)
This link lists and explains the Readout Modes if you are interested.

Readout Modes and Curves **[](https://www.qhyccd.com/qhy600m-c/)**

https://www.qhyccd.com/qhy600m-c/

I think "FastReadoutMode " relates to my FLI16803 Proline camera, which can download at two different speeds. The faster speed increases read noise and is used for focusing and framing. I can provide feedback for both of these changes if you want me to Beta test it.

This website describes the "FastReadoutMode " (again my guess)
https://www.otelescope.com/store/product/2505-proline-pl16803-monochrome-ccd-cooled-camera-with-635-mm-shutter-fli-pl16803/

|
ProLine PL16803 Monochrome CCD Cooled Camera with 63.5 mm Shutter [FLI-PL16803] - FRONT ILLUMINATED - O’Telescope
Flight Lakes Instrumentation: ProLine PL16803 Monochrome CCD Cooled Camera with 63.5 mm Shutter - 4096 x 4096 Imaging Array 9 μm Pixel Size ProLine sets the standards in key performance areas that include: download speeds, cooling, low noise operation, anti-ghosting technology, image quality, and linearity. ProLine download speeds are fast while maintaining low noise frame quality. ProLine …
www.otelescope.com
|

• | - |

(under specifications tab)

PL16803 PerformanceCamera Spec Sheet: PDF

• Digitization Speed: 1 MHz, 8 MHz
  • Typical System Noise: 10e- @ 1 MHz; 14-e @ 8 MHz

Thanks!!
Steven Hoffman
845-313-7839

Ken since the KAF-16803 sensor is no longer made, the “FastReadoutMode” may actually be deprecated and of little use. Please use your own discretion if adding this.

Thanks again!!
Steve

We can put an integer value in the FITS header, but that’s all I can see that we have access to. Is that what you mean by “Literal Descriptions not necessary”?

1 Like

An integer would do it for me.

1 Like

Yes Ken, an integer value in the FITS header would be very beneficial to QHY camera owners with this feature (Not just QHY600).

Other camera manufactures may follow QHY’s lead and implement this down the road also.

Thank you!!
Steve Hoffman