Any way to speed up download? QHY163M and Intel Compute Stick

I am wondering if there is a way to increase download speed from QHY163M? My download speed is at 20 seconds from end of capture to start of new frame.

I am curious as to what is going on between the following two events highlighted with *** in the log:

*** [03-05-17 19:32:51.992][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Entering super dangerous loop to await image completion…
[03-05-17 19:32:51.998][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] EventMarker 16 - t:QHY (0); e:1; f:76; o:
*** [03-05-17 19:33:04.914][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] SGM_CAMERA_CAPTURE complete…

What is SGP doing during this 14 seconds? Love to understand more what it is trying to do during this time…

Attached is the complete log:

Thanks so much,
Jon

Have you tried saving to the C:\ Drive ?

What kind of computer are you using? I just received a QHY163M and on my obs computer (i7 3ghz) it downloads in about 3 seconds. However when I connect the camera to my tablet download takes about 10s. I can see if someone was using one of those stick pc’s that it might take longer to download.

Yes I have tried saving to C drive as well. Both C drive and SD card are clocking in at 19.5 seconds. I don’t see any significant difference…
That’s why I want to know what SGP is going between the two log entries… Want to understand if there is anything I can do on this stick PC to improve speed.

Yes maybe the CPU on the stick PC is too slow? I checked CPU usage during downloading and CPU usage only ever reach 70% maximum though.

I was curious about this as I’ve been using an intel stick myself for a while now and thinking about the 163M camera.

When I download with my 24MP DSLR it converts the raw to fit (for the sgp preview screen) and takes about 14 seconds for the download process. The most cpu resource happens during dcraw. However dcraw should not be needed during a mono camera download so I am not sure what the extra time in your case.

Have you tried downloading in Sharp cap to see how quick it downloads?

Watch your CPU task processes during the download, and does anything jump.

No I haven’t tried in Sharpcap yet. That’s a good point. I will try tonight and report back.

Make sure you USB traffic in the ASCOM driver is set to no more than 5. The default is, I think, 50 and that will cause very slow downloads.

Tim

Yes I agree with you. My measurements was made with USB Traffic = 1.

Just tried using Sharpcap. It captures and downloads the FITS files at lightning speed of 4 frames per second (!) compared to SGP’s 14 seconds.
What gives? Please, can this be improved???

Probably not as I don’t think SGP is the bottleneck here. Have you tried using Sharpcap with the ASCOM driver (if that is possible)?

This indicates that SGP thinks that the image should be done but the camera is reporting that the image is still in progress, so we’re essentially waiting for the camera to tell us that the image is complete

[03-05-17 19:32:51.992][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Entering super dangerous loop to await image completion…
[03-05-17 19:32:51.998][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] EventMarker 16 - t:QHY (0); e:1; f:76; o:

This is where the camera tells us that the image is complete.

[03-05-17 19:33:04.914][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] SGM_CAMERA_CAPTURE complete…

So for those 14 seconds SGP thinks that the Image should be done but the camera is reporting that it is still in progress. I would be interested if other applications (while using the ASCOM driver) can capture frames markedly faster than SGP.

Hope that helps,
Jared

So testing this with my ASI1600 with SharpCap:

SGP: 3 seconds between images with image history Disabled
SGP: 5 seconds between images with image history Enabled
SharpCap: Native Driver 14fps
SharpCap: ASCOM Driver 1fps

Obviously the native driver is much faster, but that is not apples to apples. So with the ASCOM driver SharpCap is faster but not to the amount that you’re seeing.

All tests were done with a USB 3.0 cable and USB limit set to 80. On a 6th Gen i7 w/SSD.

Thanks,
Jared

Jared, using Sharpcap I can get 4 fps. This test was done with a USB 3.0 cable as well (no hub) and USB limit was set to 1, the lowest for the QHY163M. So sharpcap is much much faster than SGP…

So why does SGP think that the image should be done at “Entering super dangerous loop to await image completion…”? What prompt SGP to think that image was done at this time?

Thanks Jared.
Jonathan

Did you see if you can access sharpcap via ASCOM drivers? Sharpcap uses the native driver to talk to the ASI cameras. It can also use ASCOM but you need to pick the right camera.

Check the camera menu.

Here is a post on CN with some info.

So as it turned out I was using the native QHY163M driver when I measured download at 4 fps.
Using the ASCOM QHY163M driver, I can’t even connect using Sharpcap. It gives an error

Camera could not be started
Failed to initialize ASCOM camera (‘QHYCCD-Camera-Capture’).

But SGP can connect using ASCOM to the QHY163M. Any tip on why I can’t connect using sharpcap, please?

Can someone tell me how to set the ASCOM “USB traffic” value?

For my QHY163M, it is in the camera setting…

Asking my question on why I cannot connect to QHY163M via ASCOM driver on the sharpcap site…

Did you try Camera 1 and camera 2?

Another program you can try is APT - Astro Photography Tool?

Also did you turn off all unnecessary software, I disabled antivirus on my stick as well just to keep it as fast as possible. You can temporarily disable it see if that helps as well.

If you mean Test Camera 1 (Deepsky) and Test Camera 2 (High Speed), yes, they both work.
I turned off the only antivirus (Microsoft Defender’s real time protection) but the QHY163M download speed remained unchanged.