APPM, ASTAP and SGP

Hi,

I’m running a trial version of the APPM point mapper with SGP Pro (4.0.0.657) and ASTAP as the plate solver. I’ve found that it runs fine if all images are solved. However, if one image doesn’t solve, then ASTAP throws up errors, including “unknown Run-time error: 123” and “error accessing file!” and the APPM run fails to recover.

In looking through the SGP log, I found the following string:

ASTAP: Could not open APM file! : Could not find file C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\SequenceGenerator\Temp\psXSolve_4.apm’ at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

It appears that ASTAP keeps running on that unsolvable image, widening its search area, while APPM moves onto the next point and takes a new image with SGP. When ASTAP is called to solve the new image, it fails, apparently because it is still working on the previous one.

I contacted Han about this and he agreed that SGP might be trying to read the next .apm file before ASTAP is finished with the first (failed) solve. He suggested a workaround in which the number of regions to be searched in ASTAP be reduced to a few hundred in order that it finish its routine more quickly. He also suggested that I report this issue in the SGP forum in case there was something that could be done about having SGP make sure that ASTAP was finished before trying to read the next .apm file.

I’ve uploaded the SGP Log file here: Dropbox - sg_logfile_20210509210504.log - Simplify your life

The problems start at about 09:33.

Thanks,
Chris