ASCOM Driver for EuroTech Aurora III Cloud Sensor

Hi

Over the past month or so, I’ve been using an Aurora Cloud Sensor successfully with SGPro and GNS, using my own home-brewed ASCOM driver.

If anyone is interested in trying it, and is happy to accept that my coding is not the best by any stretch of the imagination ,please feel free to download it from here:

One request I’d like to make of anyone does decide to use it - could you let me have any feedback, suggestions or comments please?

Thanks

Steve

1 Like

hi there, not sure if you’re still around.
I thought I would give this a try.
Installed fine, but the status never changes from unsafe to safe.
I have played with the settings and ran the Enviro app stand alone.
I get green buttons in stand alone but in the same conditions with the same settings I get unsafe in SGP.
Any suggestions? (if youre still there)

Hi there

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having problems with the driver.

I’m no longer into astrophotography and sold all my kit back in 2020, so I no longer have any means to test this through.

The only thing I can suggest is that, if the driver works in standalone mode but not with SGP - maybe it’s a problem with SGP (which I think is unlikely) or maybe there’s been an update to the ASCOM driver structure since 2015.

If there has been an update, then I’m really not sure what you can do.

Sorry i can’t be more help.

Regards

Steve

1 Like

thanks for the reply!

Steve,
any thoughts here? I got this from Ken, developer of SGP

you can relay this bit here to the driver’s author to see if they have any advice for avoiding it:

[04/18/24 11:28:37.948][DEBUG][MF Update Thread][NONE] ASCOM Safety: Get IsSafe failed! Returning Unsafe! : The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
 (System.IO.IOException: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

at ASCOM.Utilities.Serial.ReceiveTerminated(String Terminator) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.Utilities\ASCOM.Utilities\Serial.vb:line 1204
   at ASCOM.Aurora_Cloud_Sensor_III.SafetyMonitor.Read_Sensor()
   at ASCOM.Aurora_Cloud_Sensor_III.SafetyMonitor.get_IsSafe())

Hi again

I’m really sorry, but it was over ten years ago that I tried to learn about ASCOM and write the code and I have no real idea / memory of what that message means … and I have no means of testing it for you - I don’t have any kit, and I don’t have SGP, ASCOM or VB Studio installed so I can’t investigate the original code (which I’m also struggling to find on a couple of old laptops).

I’ve also been on the ASCOM standards website to see if anything there helps but it’s all changed out of all recognition in the ten years.

I’d love to be able to help you but I really can’t . Sorry again.

Steve

no worries :slight_smile: I just had to ask