ASI1600 Fail to save image!

Hello :slight_smile:

For 6 months I own the ASI1600MM-Cool. I come from a Canon DSLR.

My setup is a TSAPO65Q with Intel Compute Stick, ZWO EFW8, ZWO OAG, ALTAIRASTRO GPCAM224 and ZWO Filters. I hale all latest drivers and setup files.

I have latest version of SGP and latest drivers of ASI.

For 6 months I have issues making SGPRO work with this camera… During the shooting, it fails to save the image.

Please help me. I have a full setup and I lost 6 months of shooting :frowning:

Let me know if you need ant log or anything else!

Yes, we will need logs. Please see here for what is helpful:

Thank you,
Jared

Hi Jared,

Here it is :slight_smile:

You can find the problem many times in this log, but for faster look from 02:19:52 - 02:23:54.

It says that cannot set redout speed, then about a dangerous loop and at the end ou of memory fail.

I hope to find a solution. Thanks in advance!

Hey,
I had issues in the beginning using this camera with SGP.
I have upgraded the latest ASCOM driver for the ASI1600 and all is fine now…

Good luck!

Hello, I have the latest ASCOM driver on. Thank you!!

Hello Jared,

Did you take a look at my log file?

Thank you

Hello,

Can someone please check the log file and tell me if it is a software or hardware problem, so I know what to do? Is the 2GB RAM enough for the software to run?

I posted a similar reply to Magicstar on BII but I’m repeating it here in case anyone is running successfully with the amount of RAM and SDD combination that Magicstar uses. He only has 10GB space available before running SGP. I was wondering if he may not have enough space for swap files as the night goes on. I believe this could cause his error. I have a similar stick with 2GB memory but have 15GB of HD space to start and I don’t have any problems.

Hello Tim,

I will try to save the images directly to a Micro SD card and let you know.

The ASI1600 likes ram. It also likes 64 bit architectures because of this. Do you happen to know of your running a 32 bit or 64bit os? We had issues with the 1600 and ended up having to set some flags for SGP to be able to access additional ram on 64 bit systems above the 3.5gig limit opposed on 32 bit apps.

Thanks
Jared

Hello Jared,

I have Win10 32bit with 2GB RAM. Now I will move to Win 8.1 to test.

These “sticks” are fairly popular. They usually have 2GB RAM with a 64bit Atom processor running a 32 bit version of windows 10. A number of people use them with SGP without a problem. I also had “fail to save image” issues with some versions of SGP, but .17 and after work fine for me. The only time I get “fail to save image” is with the odd flat. Not enough to be an issue. I think the ASI1600 handles very short exposures different than long ones so maybe thats what causes it.

So, since .17 I have taken many hundreds of “lights” without a single “fail to save image”. I use platesolve2 and astrometry local with full libraries for 3 sizes of scopes, as well as the autofocus functionality. I use EQMOD and PS2 all controlled through SGP. The only other thing I have running is “splashtop” to control the “stick” from a laptop in my house.

When starting SGP I have used about 52% of memory and have over 15GB of free space on the SDD. When SGP is running “task manager” shows my “stick” using 65%-75% memory. I haven’t tried using a mini sd card yet. I use usb2.

The OP should be able to use his “stick” but has to check his memory and SD usage. No room for extra stuff on these things. I don’t know what impact running win 8.1 will have.

Hello Jared,

I am very dissapointed about this situation. I made clean format of my compute stick and add only the necessary apps. This gaves me a 20GB free space. I lost another weekend due to this isuue :frowning2:

What is going on??? Please help me. I have lost too many weekends withgood weather.

Ass you can see in my log file, the problem is:

[08/20/17 03:05:14.896][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Cannot set readout speed, not supported by camera…

then this:

[08/20/17 03:09:15.033][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Entering super dangerous loop to await image completion…

and then this:

[08/20/17 03:09:18.331][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM Camera Error : Δημιουργήθηκε εξαίρεση τύπου ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’.
σε System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters)
σε System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
σε System.Type.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture)
σε ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) στο c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:γραμμή 294
σε ASCOM.DriverAccess.Camera.get_ImageArray() στο c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Camera.cs:γραμμή 361

Dear Jared,

Two days know, waiting for your reply, I am doing some tests. I figure out that the problem occurs when the “Sequense images use new tabs” is checked.

Please read my logs and let me know what is that problem.

Thanks,
Pantelis

The failed to save image generally happens when the USB bandwidth is set too high on the camera ASCOM driver. If you’re using a “stick” pc with a very low amount of ram (4 gigs and below) you’ll likely need to take precautions to keep the memory usage very low.

1. Do NOT create a new window for each images
  2. Turn down the USB limit in the ASI Driver
  3. Don’t run any “unneeded” applications.

Thanks,
Jared

Dear Jared,

Thank you for your reply! Just make some more tests and with USB2 cable works well. With USB3 fails. Do you know what occurs that problem?

Thank you

The driver will set a different USB Rate based on USB2 or USB3. My guess is that the USB3 rate is too high and likely causing the failure. You can turn down the USB Rate in the ASI ASCOM driver.

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared,

I tryed to put the USB Limit on 40 (the lowest) but has the same problem.

Hi Magicstar,

As I said on your post on CN - I’m convinced the issue is due to having only 2GB of RAM on the Intel compu stick. Sorry, but 2 GB of RAM is not even recommended to run the O/S alone…you are simply being very unrealistic imho. I base this comment on 15+ years working in the IT industry. I’m not trying to be mean by any means, but I am being brutally honest with you, because I think that will best help you out in the long run.

I wouldn’t even consider running Windows 10 on a normal PC with 2GB ram…let alone a very under powered ATOM CPU that’s as weak as a wet paper bag!

Anything to do with imaging (terrestrial, astro imaging) or video processing or 3d rending WILL be highly memory and CPU intensive.

Best wishes,

Dave

Hello Dave,

The problem was on USB Limit of SGP. I reduce it down to 40 and works very well. With other products like MaximDL, Nebulocity, SharpCap I can go to 80% with no problem at all.

Also the download time of SGP is around 8 seconds, and on Nebulocity is 1-2 seconds.

All these sounds to you as a RAM issue??? OK listen also to this.

I put a laptop with 8GB RAM and I had 6 seconds of download image!!