Autofocus failures

If you use the SGP AF Logviewer you dont need to provide focus packs to analyse the curves, simply load the normal SGP logfile for the session. See this thread for how to use it for other things like determining filter offsets and temperature coefficients:

If you post logfiles people can also more easily give feedback on your AF settings.

Mikael

thanks, thatā€™s great, Iā€™ll take a look.
Paul

Hi Paul,

I have a similar setup to you. I have a Celestron Edge HD 8 that I use at F7 with a Starizona feather touch focuser. What I found important was to have the backlash compensation going in the correct direction. With backlash compensation, you want to move the mirror towards the bottom of the optical tube further than your target position and then move up, pushing against gravity. If your backlash compensation doesnā€™t finish by moving against gravity, you will get mirror flop which destroys the accuracy of your FWHM measurements. For me moving in the wrong direction and resulting mirror flop resulted in the types of focus curves you are seeing.

Ideally, you start your focus run toward the bottom of the optical tube and then all moves through the focus curve measurement push the mirror up against gravity. In this way, you minimize the amount of time you spend compensating for backlash.

For my system, I had to configure autofocus in the following way:

• Control Panel: Focus tab - check reverse focuser direction. For me this is necessary to get the focus run to start towards the bottom of the optical tube. As you are using the same focuser as me I suspect this is true for you.
  • Control Panel: Focuser ā€œOtherā€ button - focuser backlash compensation checked, with compensation direction set to ā€œINā€. My step size is 500, but your value may be different given your aperture.

If you donā€™t reverse the focus direction, you will probably need to set the compensation direction to ā€œOUTā€ but you will likely be doing backlash compensation for every focus move, but it should work.

For my system, once I got everything moving in the correct direction, it was much easier to tune my step size (avoiding donuts).

Sorry if this is a repeat of what you already know. Perhaps someone else will find this information useful.

Regards,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, thatā€™s very useful. The part of your description I havenā€™t got and have never tried is

Once I get my mount repaired Iā€™ll try that out and report back.
best wishes
Paul

Good luck Paul!