Calibration/flats event - will not start in daytime if Safety Monitor device is connected

Not sure if this is a bug or expected behaviour … when trying to run a calibration sequence during the day (or night time when it is cloudy/unsafe etc), the Safety Monitor device becomes connected and the sequence goes into ~“waiting for conditions to become safe …” yellow mode.

Shouldn’t the logic pick up that event is calibration only, and does not need to check on safe conditions? Or perhaps some setups need weather-safe conditions before doing calibration?

Not a big deal - it is easy to remove the Safety Device from the drop-down before starting the sequence. But annoying :=)

DaveNL

The issue is that SGP has no way of knowing what triggered Unsafe, and ASCOM makes no specification of what’s safe or unsafe.

Maybe it’s unsafe because temp is too cold for the mount to move to where your flat box is? Maybe it’s unsafe because voltage to some device has dropped too low or gone too high? I run a safety monitor that determines status of a UPS, and can flag unsafe in certain mains/ups/battery conditions…conditions where I very well may not want my camera cooling for darks, for example.

Point is, what’s being monitored, and what is therefore safe/unsafe, is entirely up to the developer of the safety monitor driver. All it tells SGP (or any client) is “Safe or Unsafe”.

Client pretty much has to simply respect the safety monitor for ANY activity.

Fair enough. Did not realize the scope of “unsafe” was more than just “it’s cloudy, batten down the hatches until it is clear again”.

One downside of this (for the way I had hoped to use the safety monitor) is that whenever clouds move in during the imaging session and stick around until dawn (happens a lot for me!), the sequence will never get to start the calibration capture because it is still in “waiting for conditions to become safe” mode.

Perhaps an option could be added to “capture calibration frames while in unsafe mode”, for those that wanted to avail of it (ie. and make use of the time during intermittent cloudy periods)?

DaveNL