Cant get auto focus to run properly no matter what stop size

please see log

Link to Logs

Useful Info

Ver: 3.2.0.613
.NET: 4.8

using a optec sv30 on stellarvue 102 with .8 reducer and atik 460ex mono. no matter what step size cant get a v curve consistantly working. also when run auto focus it wont quit.

Looking at your log file with the AF Logviewer it looks like you have a lot of backlash. Here is an example where the focuser makes about 7 attemps to move the focuser, but the HFR doesn’t change (see right hand side):

20201214181152_AFRun_2

Then it starts moving, and you get the expected curve (left hand side).

I suggest you stick with the step size of 200 for now, as in this particular example, but you put a large backlash compensation of maybe 2000 steps.

It might not be your only issue, cause the log file contains a lot of failed runs with strange curves, but it is a place to start.

Hope it helps. Mikael

thought I had problem solved with step size of 173. I did the formula and auto focus worked perect. Thank I tried it today and could not get it to work. I don’t understand how same starting point HFR could be so off and out of focus with totally perfect skies. I tried both lum and Ha and could not get it to work. I took your recomendaton and used 2x2 binningh and 7 points and that worked . Now wont work. Could my focuser be the problem. I don’t think so. but been beyond fustrationl. I also tried your new beta version same problem.

Link to Logs

Useful Info

Ver: 3.2.0.613
.NET: 4.8

@peetyg

Hi - I am pleased that you managed to get AF working with your rig at least the once.

Having worked carefully through your log I see two sections where SGP thinks it is moving the focuser inwards but I see only noise level change in the focus metrics (i.e star detections and HFR measurements) such that I think your problem is most likely mechanical slippage somewhare in your focuser drive mechanism. For example: a) the motor shaft is not tightly coupled to the focus shaft, b) if you have eg a Crayford focuser there is slippage in the steel rollers such that rotary motion of the focuser shaft is not translating to linear motion of your camera, c) I see some Optec focusers have a clutch mechanism so they can be used manually or electronically - is it possible the clutch became accidentally disengaged.

I suggest you position your scope so that the focuser when moving inwards is pulling your camera up against gravity. Check then that when racking inwards there is steady upward motion of the camera with no slippage. Maybe hang a bit of extra weight on the camera to verify there is no slippage.

Beyond this at the very start of your log I think your focusser was inside best focuser so that HFR was increasing for the first couple of AF frames. While it is not essential I think it is slightly better to start close to but slightly outside best focus.

Hope you quickly find the cause of the strongly suspected mechanical slippage.

I found an issue where over-tightening the sleeve that connect my HSM motor to the Focuser was causing axial stress and when I loosed the coupling slippage and notchy movement stopped and it worked perfectly. Took a while to work that out as it seemed counter intuitive.

Thank you will send a new log

Peter Gottstein

Thank you will send a new log

Peter Gottstein

Thank will try

Peter Gottstein

Hi.
I have had the same issue with a Pegasus Astro focuser one of the screws of the axle coupler was loose. I had a very important backlash (around 2000 steps). I tightened it and everything was OK.
JM