Change name in FITS metadata for camera

Is there a way for SGP to include the actual name of the camera used in the FITS metadata? All I see is ASI Camera (1) or ASI Camera (2).

1 Like

Unfortunately, SGPro does not have access to the name of the camera (via ASCOM).

If you bring up and run ASCOM Diagnosticst then select Choose Device Camera from the menu you can get to a screen where you can edit the ASCOM name of your device. SGP will then put this name into FITS header records. You may need to redo e.g, darks and flats if your stacking program uses the device name for matching calibration frames to Lights. Or edit the Device name in the FITS header of your calibraton frames.

1 Like

Mike, I’m able to edit that field, but there appears to be no way to save the edited data. If I close the window and reopen it, the device name reverts back to the original generic name. How did you manage to save the edited value?

Hi,

That’s an interesting question. In the past I think I edited the name then pressed Connect button on the same window. This causesd ASCOM to create a new instance of the driver software with the new name which was then visible in the Chooser drop-down in SGP. However I’ve just tried this in ASCOM 6.5 and it doesn’t seem to work the same.

I will play some more but maybe this was a loop-hole that has been closed.

Do you see any opportunity to change the name while your driver software is installing?

Mile

PS have you had a chance to test the new ASTAP focusing metrics?

Do you see any opportunity to change the name while your driver software is installing?

I have never observed any such option when installing the ZWO ASCOM driver.

PS have you had a chance to test the new ASTAP focusing metrics?

I would very much like to try it, but I’m still on V3. I have six licences so the upgrade is quite expensive. I’m waiting to see what goodies are added to V4 before I raid the piggy bank. I’m especially hopeful for a “re-centre after x frames/minutes” option, as that is the only major deficiency I see in SGP at the moment (although a NINA-styled fully-optioned sequencer would be an incentive to upgrade too).