Closed Loop Slew

I just received a copy of TheSKYX Imaging Edition (TSX) and the built-in function of Closed Loop Slew is worth the price of admission.

My imaging kit is a C11EdgeHD and CGX combination. The TSX does not connect directly to the CGX so I started the CPWI telescope control program that Celestron supplies, but I did not sync on any object. I then started TheSKYX and using CPWI slewed to a target.

Next, the TSX camera function takes an image of where the telescope was pointing. I then opened the Closed Loop Slew dialogue and let it run. TSX using its own catalog for image solving. After slewing to the first target the image did not show the target at all. TSX Closed Loop Slew will look as far away as (in my case) 4 Fields of View that have been set up in TSX; for my ASI294MC - 24 x 16 arcminutes.

I tried two targets tonight, M 1 and M 78 and both times TSX put the target dead on the sensor.

The imaging function in TSX is cumbersome, at least initially, so once I have solved for the object location, I switch back to SGPro for imaging, using PHD2 for guiding.

So, what is the chance that SGPro can incorporate a similar function to TSX Closed Loop Slew? I would definitely pay extra for that function.

Perhaps I don’t understand the problem but is what you’re describing vastly different from using the plate solving functions available in SGP?

I normally create a sequence using the Framing & Mosaic Wizard which saves the center coordinates of the target in the sequence. If I’m running the sequence manually, I click on the Slew To and Center Now buttons, and let the plate solver do its thing. Using either my refractor (120 mm) or my RC (2000 mm) I am almost always centered by the second try. If you wish, you can do all of this automatically.

Clear Skies (someday)

BobT

Unless I’m missing something, you’re describing Auto Center. SGP basically invented this functionality and we’ve had it for many years. You set your coordinates in the target and choose “Auto Center”. SGP will then slew there, plate solve and image and iteratively slew until your object meets the criteria for

Jared

I am obviously missing something here. I will delve into ‘Auto Center’ tonight and see if this is the same as what is in TSX.

I hope so as I am still within the 14 day return period for the TSX.

Well, darn on me. I tried it on two objects and it worked. Not quite as quick enough a TheSKTX Pro, but quick enough.
I guess I will have to renew my license now!