Davis Vantage Weather Station - ASCOM

Is anyone else using this ASCOM driver for integrating their Davis Vantage Pro weather station data into observering conditions?

In particular, connecting via IP address (for those with IP connected station)? I’ve tried it without success. If I try to tie in using the ASCOM Observing Conditions Hub, I get errors when I ‘Test’ or connect.

Have also tried selecting the Vantage Pro ASCOM driver directly as the Environment device but SGP will crash/close when I try to connect.

Other programs (not via ASCOM) can connect to the weather station using the same IP/port without issue.

Error_IP_Vantage_Pro_ASCOM_after

I am using this driver to get weather data from a text file into SGP. I am not using the IP connection. Since I am running a German windows there were issues with the number formatting. Arie, the developer was very supportive and improved his driver to support different cultures. I am sure if you send him a wireshark log Arie will take the time to look at it.
Dietmar

Thanks @dloy
How did you contact Arie?

Dave

Arie had his email published on Github. I checked and it its no longer there. If you want I can contact him and ask if he is willing to help.
Dietmar

I have forwarded your posting and your contact details.
Dietmar

1 Like

I use the Davis Ascom driver with both SGP and DSP, but i have not done anything with Observing conditions at this point. Am using IP – the only issue I see is whenever we have a power outage my DHCP assigns a new address, despite telling it to reassign the same one to that MAC. Have not had any problems with it otherwise.

Hi @Gregory_Latiak
Just curios … which model Davis Weather Station are you using? Does it have the Weatherlink IP dongle or the Weatherlink Live (or some other IP connectivity)?

In what way are you using the data available (and which) when you use the driver (with say, SGP)?

Dave

Dave,

I have a Vantage Pro 2, cable connected to the instrument package, with the IP dongle. I feed into weatherlink.com but my primary application is Weatherlink 5.9 on my local network. Am slowly putting my environment back together after being offline, astronomically speaking, for almost two years due to a major move. Since my kit is in a SkyshedPOD my options for automation are limited – and still a work in progress. Right now all I do is display weather data in the SGP environment window. I use Deepskyplanner v8 as well for an observation log – current weather data gets updated into my log entries as long as they are created roughly in realtime. I modified the POD to be a part time rolloff so there is potential for more. And I also use Lunaticastro SOLO/Cloudwatcher – have found their sky temperature useful in gauging the futility of it all. Something the Davis doesn’t see.

greg