Different images in framing and mosaic tool?

Is it possible to refresh the database used by the framing and mosaic tool? The image that comes up for M42 is so blown out in the highlights is unusable to plan with.

You need to use the stretch tools (histogram sliders)

Ken - Thank you. I’ll give that a try!

Ken - I don’t know what you mean. The M42 image is still blown out regardless of the stretching or how I move the sliders? Can you explain what I should be doing, please?

THanks,
Suzanne

Ya, looks like m42 is problematic in that way. In any case, we can’t do anything about it since they are not our images (DSS). The idea here is not to have a ton of resolution, but rather to get a general idea of the area to capture and how you want to frame it. For almost all cases, this image should be sufficient for that purpose right? Or maybe I am not understanding what you are after.

Ken… It’s very problematic…I can’t tell where Orion is in that blob. I shot it on Saturday night with my 8" telescope and the framing was not good.
It seems like, with other targets, there are several options if you redo the search, it brings up a different image, but not the case for M42 - just a black and white or a color version of this blob.
I LOVE your framing and mosaic tool and use it for every target…but it’s not working for this one.
Is there a way to pull in an image from another source?
Or should I build the target with the RA/Dec from Stellarium?
Or???
Thanks for your help!
Suzanne

To pull an image from another source;
Go to; File / Open Image. Or File / Import Targets

f430 - Thank you! I got it to import a Telescopius imaging list (with a test M42 as it’s only entry). SGP says the target was successfully imported, but I can’t find where it is or how to access it with the framing and mosaic wizard.
I’m sorry to be so dense, but - Where did it import the target to and how do I access it to build a sequence with that target’s image?
Thanks so much for all the help with this!!

Sorry SBeers, but I’ve never used that process, but just remember seeing it under File.
Hopefully one of the Mods will answer the question.

It seems as if regardless of the image you use (e.g., an astrobin or telescopius url) it still pulls up the image that’s in the database for that region. In the case of M42, M43 it’s a blown out blob that is very difficult to use for framing.

So guess I’m back to my original question about the underlying database… is there a way to get those images updated?

I have ran in to the same issue in the frame and focus. Had the same target give me different images, some good, some not.
Sorry not a lot of help, but sharing sympathy…

Have you tried changing the field of view? I’ve found that it often pulls a different image for the different fields of view.