Difficulty connecting SGP with PHD2

I have an AP1600 goto mount and an SBIG ST2000XM camera. Having difficulty with last few steps of connecting SGP with PHD2. I have the correct API loaded. PHD2 starts up, but after a while, it gives up. This message in the log, which was received repeatedly, may give a clue:

[05/31/20 22:23:58.536][DEBUG][PHD2 Listener Thread][SQ;] Failed to establish client connection to PHD2 using port 4400: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:4400

Any suggestions?

Do you have “Enable Server” enabled under the Tools menus in PHD2?

No, I didn’t. I will try it that way.
Guy

I now have ‘enable server’ checked, and I still have basically the same problem – even when I am totally running simulators. I am really frustrated – this has been going on for months now.

Are SGP and PHD2 both running as a “normal” user (ie are you running one as Admin?).

You may want to disable the windows firewall for testing just to make sure that’s not causing issues.

If you have 3rd party virus or firewall software it would also be worth disabling that.

Jared

How do I check to see if I’m running them as administrator or as something else?

And thanks for the quick response here!

You should be able to right click on the shortcuts and go to properties. One of the options is “Run As Administrator” this should be unchecked on both SGP and PHD2. Also if this is set you’ll get a UAC prompt whenever you launch the app asking if it’s ok to run as admin so that should be a clue if this is set or not.

Thanks. I looked, and they were both UN-checked already. What else should we look at?

Did you check those two?

Thanks,
Jared

I turned off everything in Norton for about the next 15 minutes; Windows firewall says I was dependent on Norton.

Same result, failure to connect to PHD2

I turned Norton firewall back on.
So what should I try now?

Open up a command prompt (you’ll need to right click and select “Run As Administrator”) then run this command:
netstat -a -b | find "4400"

Is anything listed?

Thanks,
Jared

Assuming that outputs a non-blank line try the following:

Run this command:
netstat -aon | find "4400"

That will output something like this:
TCP 0.0.0.0:4400 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 64504

Take the last number (64054 in my case), and use it in this command:
tasklist | find "64504"

What is the output of that last command?

Thanks,
Jared

When I type either version of the netstat command, it produces a white-text-on-black-bacground window with quite a bit of information in it but the window immediately closes, before I can either read it or even take a screen shot. So I don’t know what it said. How do I get it to either slow down or allow me to retrieve what it wrote?

You’ll want to paste that into a administrative command prompt. If you’re just using the “Run” command then you won’t be able to see the results.

Sorry, and thanks for your patience!
I hadn’t use the CMD prompt in many years, pardon me for being rusty.
When I type the netstat command it doesn’t output anything.

Well that’s no good. That means PHD2 isn’t listening on that port…can you verify that “Enable Server” is checked and PHD2 is up and running?

Yup, I re-started PHD2, verified that ‘enable server’ is checked, and when I do
netstat -a -b | find “4400”
I get no response.

Wait, now I do:
C:\Users\HP>tasklist | find “10904”
phd2.exe 10904 Console 1 35,016 K