Do I need to un-install to update?

I currently have SGP version 4.0.0.700. Do I need to un-install it before updating to version 4.1.0.778?

No, you can install right over 4.0.

Hi Ken
Will that leave two instances of the program or will 4.1 overwrite 4.0?

John

It’s up to you. The installer will ask you where to install it. If you choose the default, it will overwrite the 4.0 install. The only thing to keep in mind if you want to actively use both is that 4.0 and 4.1 share the same settings. This means that 4.1 may make changes to settings, sequence and profiles that break 4.0. We are not aware of any such things currently, but you’ll want to make sure to back up all of your sequences and profiles before using SGPro this way.

Thanks Ken.

Thanks ken
Yeah I thought that too but I installed the update on my observatory PC and now have two versions - the latest version however will not start. I see on some posts that ASCOM needs to be current and I do have the latest version installed. I am running a 64-bit machine and WIN 7.
John

This may be because 32 bit and 64 bit install in different directories. By Windows convention, 32 bit apps are installed in c:\Program Files (x86) and 64-bit in c:\Program Files. If you had 32 bit before and now run 64-bit you will now see 2 versions. Using the default install options for future versions of 32 and 64 bit installers will overwrite the previous 32 and 64 bit install (respectively).

Thanks Ken
Yes that is correct I only had version 3.2 installed so a 32-bit version.
I also tried the 32-bit version of 4.1 which did overwrite the previous installation.
Sadly however neither the 32 or 64-bit versions of 4.1 will run on my PC.
Ver 3.2 works just fine.
My observatory PC is an i7 CPU with 8 GB RAM running 64-bit Win 7 so I am surprised that it just wont start.
ASCOM is the latest version.
Any tips would be welcome.
Version 4.1 64-bit works perfectly on my new laptop (Win 11) and my study PC running Win 10.
Do I need Win 10 for SGP V 4?
Cheers
John

Unfortunately whether or not SGPro fails at start has nothing to do with the quality or capability or a computer. It is possible that it’s a Windows 7 issue as we haven’t supported that OS for almost 2.5 years now. That said, it should probably still work and we can look at the logs to try and determine the cause of failure… Because there are a lot of things happening at startup, we’d need to get logs to see what’s happening. Please see here for guidance on getting us logs when SGPro won’t start. This part of the help manual describes some of the more common issue that can prevent startup. If none of them work for you, the section at the end titles “Still No Luck” describes how to get logs to us for inspection.

https://help.sequencegeneratorpro.com/SGProwillnotstart.html

Hi Ken
I just completed a fresh install.
Still no action other than the little green circle suggesting its trying for a second or two.
Log file below.

[05/15/22 10:09:28.139][DEBUG][Unknown][NONE] .NET Framework Version: 4.8
[05/15/22 10:09:28.151][INFO][Unknown][NONE] ASCOM Platform version: 6.6.0.3444
[05/15/22 10:09:28.494][DEBUG][Unknown][NONE] GlobalExceptionHandler caught System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException : Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (System.ArgumentException: Font ‘?’ cannot be found.
at System.Drawing.FontFamily.GetGdipGenericSansSerif()
at System.Drawing.FontFamily.CreateFontFamily(String name, FontCollection fontCollection)
at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(String familyName, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)
at System.Drawing.Font…ctor(String familyName, Single emSize)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.ProgressBarAdvVisualStyle.get_DefaultStyle()
at Syncfusion.Styles.StyleInfoBase.GetDefaultStyleInfoStore(StyleInfoProperty sip)
at Syncfusion.Styles.StyleInfoBase.GetValue(StyleInfoProperty sip)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.ProgressBarAdvVisualStyle.get_Font())
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Reflection.RuntimePropertyInfo.GetValue(Object obj, Object[] index)
at Syncfusion.WinForms.Theme.ThemeHelper.MergeStyle(IThemeProvider provider, Object visualStyles)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.ProgressBarAdv.set_ThemeName(String value)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.ProgressBarAdv.Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.IVisualStyle.set_VisualTheme(String value)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.SkinManager.SetVisualStyle(Control control, String visualStyle)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.ProgressBarAdv…ctor()
at SequenceGenerator.Theming.SgProProgressBar…ctor()
at dw.a()
at dw…ctor()
at dv.g()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
[05/15/22 10:09:28.494][DEBUG][Unknown][NONE] InnerException => System.ArgumentException : Font ‘?’ cannot be found.
at System.Drawing.FontFamily.GetGdipGenericSansSerif()
at System.Drawing.FontFamily.CreateFontFamily(String name, FontCollection fontCollection)
at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(String familyName, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)
at System.Drawing.Font…ctor(String familyName, Single emSize)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.ProgressBarAdvVisualStyle.get_DefaultStyle()
at Syncfusion.Styles.StyleInfoBase.GetDefaultStyleInfoStore(StyleInfoProperty sip)
at Syncfusion.Styles.StyleInfoBase.GetValue(StyleInfoProperty sip)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.ProgressBarAdvVisualStyle.get_Font()
[05/15/22 10:09:28.494][DEBUG][Unknown][NONE] Call stack: at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Reflection.RuntimePropertyInfo.GetValue(Object obj, Object[] index)
at Syncfusion.WinForms.Theme.ThemeHelper.MergeStyle(IThemeProvider provider, Object visualStyles)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.ProgressBarAdv.set_ThemeName(String value)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.ProgressBarAdv.Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.IVisualStyle.set_VisualTheme(String value)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.SkinManager.SetVisualStyle(Control control, String visualStyle)
at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.ProgressBarAdv…ctor()
at SequenceGenerator.Theming.SgProProgressBar…ctor()
at dw.a()
at dw…ctor()
at dv.g()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I hope this sheds some light for you - not much for me sadly.
Thanks
John

Sadly, I do believe this means Windows 7 is no longer compatible with 4.1. It might be compatible with 4.0, but we have not checked and, if it is, cannot make any guarantee that it will continue to be.

Hi Ken
Thanks for confirming my fears.
It does not work with V4.0 either - I tried that.
It’s just s shame that my observatory PC is a Windows PC - updating the OS on a Mac is a breeze and does not require re-installation of all apps/programs. I might have to see if one of my old MacBooks is an option!
Oh well Winter is coming - so are the clouds so there should be time!
Cheers
John