Dome slews in opposite direction while plate solving

Hello, I experienced sometimes an odd behavior of my Lesve dome with SGP (still using the release, will try the beta now when the clouds go away ):
After the initial plate solve, the dome moves in opposite (!!) direction of the mount - When the mount stops slewing, SGP realizes somehow it moved the mount in the wrong direction and moves it back to match the mount position - but is already taking the next plate solve image, straight against my dome wall which guarantees for the next plate solve to fail. By the time SPG has moved the dome to the correct position, plate solve already cancelled the sequence and the camera warmed up.

Could you maybe implement a “wait for dome to finish slewing” option in the plate solve routine? Otherwise the dome might not be ready when SGP takes an image.

Thanks & CS,
Manfred

Hi Manni,
this sounds similar to my situation (see link).

I’m working through how my equipment and software communicate. Hope to have it resolved by tomorrow, and if so, will post the solution.

Mark

SGP should be waiting for the dome to finish it’s move provided the dome is telling us it’s moving. Are you using SGP for the slaving or the Lesve dome software?

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared, the slew control lays completely in SGPs hands. When I do test slews with the telescope (EQ8 with latest EQMOD driver ) using SGPs telescope controls it works 100%. Can I log this error somehow to provide you more details?

Sometimes SGP also indicates a “solve might be bad…” error, just after a fresh start of the equipment and the mount still at initial park position. Slewing to a target and then do the centering works flawless. I dont want to open a second topic here but it might be related?

Manfred

Same condition of Manni_Leo,
my thought is, although SGP is waiting for stopping of Dom, it does not look nice to see a Dome lost, going on the opposite side, and then return to the correct position.

After the initial plate solve, the dome moves in opposite (!!) direction
of the mount - When the mount stops slewing, SGP realizes somehow it
moved the mount in the wrong direction and moves it back to match the
mount position - but is already taking the next plate solve image,
straight against my dome wall which guarantees for the next plate solve
to fail.

Yesterday I’ve noticed the same thing and could repeat this behaviour twice before the clouds rolled in. I’m also using lesvedome. Will test this evening again and look for the log.

Is this happening around any particular area of the sky (close to the meridian perhaps)?

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared,

targeting ngc 1805 the heart nebula… Far away from the meridian.

This evening it’s happening to me close to ngc1850, ic1848 the soul…
Yesterday when imaging Sh2-132, it didn’t happen.

Please see this post:

Some of those objects are very close to the pole. Was the target below the pole by chance when the slew was commanded? Logs would be helpful here.

Thanks,
Jared

Disregard. I believe I’ve found the issue. Doing some testing now.

Thanks,
Jared

This is resolved. Will be in the next 2.4.3 beta.

Thanks,
Jared

1 Like

Thanks Jared!

Thanks jared