Failed to Save Image to Disk

I haven’t been able to image since early November so I haven’t really used any recent versions of SGP. However, I just had a couple of fairly clear nights so I updated to 2.6.0.12 with ASCOM driver 1.0.2.25 which is the latest for my ASI1600MM-C.

The first night I imaged 160 images and everything worked fine. When I was getting some flats later I got some “failed to Save Image to Disk” messages on a few images. I later restarted SGP and got 50 bias frames and 20 darks without an issue. Last night I started imaging my first target and all 11 images worked well. It then slewed to my second image where I had a problem with PS2. I then spent an hour doing frame and focus images to see if my second image was past a tree. ( I was actually using an Ha filter for plate solving - ouch). Once I realized this I changed the filter to Lum and resumed SGP on the second image. For the rest of the night I got numerous "Failed to Save Image to Disk " messages.

I never had this problem during my previous imaging sessions in the fall. I did notice that if I start to Run the Sequence and leave it alone things seem to work ok. If I pause the image too much to do stuff - like frame and focus - I get a lot of missed images when I resume the sequence. However, this is with very limited testing. I’ve attached my log for last night. You can see the “failed to save image to disk” error at 1:07 and 1:12am. There are a lot more that work and a lot more that don’t. Thanks for any insight.

@Tim

Your camera driver is indicating that it cannot allocate the required memory to store the image. SGPro has no insight as to why this happens we just relay the message for clarity (and because hiding errors is bad in general).

[02-18-17 23:03:55.337][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM Camera Error : Exception of type ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown.

The ASCOM camera logs at this same time would be useful. You may also want to report this to the driver’s author.

Thanks Ken. I did some research and came across this discussion in Cloudy Nights.

It should have been posted here but it seems the OP got rid of the memory problem by dropping back to an older SGP version. Might be my best solution.

@Tim,

A few notes:

• If that’s true, it’s, unfortunately, not a very good solution (for you or for us). We are about to drop support for anything prior to SGPro 2.6.
  • If that’s true, it would be good to know which version seems to behave better so we can look at any changes.
  • It’s worth noting that we do not have a native ASI camera driver and that ASI cameras use the same exact ASCOM interface 90% of all SGPro cameras use (without issue).

That makes sense Ken. I’ll keep on the latest version and keep you updated. This problem seems random so its hard to tell if falling back works long term.

Hi,

it seems the same error I got with my QHY367C.
In my case I cannot acquire any image in 1x1bin in a sequence or in frame and focus, always the same “out memory error”. No problem in 2x2 bin.

My log file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38866039/sg_logfile_20170220151349.txt

Thanks.
Gianni.

We had a few releases slip out that were not Large Address Aware (able to allocate >2G of memory). This is likely what is causing this issue. I’ll run some tests with and without this enabled and see if that resolves the problem.

Thanks,
Jared

I had this exact same issue last night with SGP 2.6.0.12…after the ASI1600MM-C had been working just fine up through 2.6.0.11. .12 seems to have this issue for sure. No driver changes on the ZWO side. I then dropped out of my imaging run last night to install .13. Seemed like the issue was resolved, but I didn’t have a long time to test as the clouds rolled in.

[02/19/17 21:46:14.849][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM Camera Error : CheckDotNetExceptions ASCOM.ASICamera2.Camera ImageArray Get System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program. (See Inner Exception for details) (System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.)
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CheckDotNetExceptions(String memberName, Exception e) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 630
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.GetTargetInvocationExceptionHandler(String memberName, Exception e) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 664
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type parameterTypes, Object parms) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 288
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Camera.get_ImageArray() in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Camera.cs:line 361
at qo.h7(oz A_0, qy& A_1)
[02/19/17 21:46:14.849][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM camera: frame and focus error. : Error capturing during frame and focus!
at qo.gp(oz A_0, qy& A_1)

@Jared has noted that SGPro support for large memory address awareness seems to have been turned off. We will rebuild with this option turned on and see if that fixes any of these reports.

I was able to run all my astro stuff - including SGP - on a PC stick with only 2GB from April 2016 until Nov. 2016 without a problem. Last week when I finally had some clear skies the “out of memory” surfaced. So, the SGP support for larger than 2GB memory probably won’t help me. If it helps others I can get a new PC stick or stick with an older version for awhile.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a memory leak involved. I’m away until the weekend and I return I will do some testing to see when the issue occurs and if I can get around it.

All,

Please give 2.6.0.14 a shot and see if that makes a difference.

The limit is inclusive of virtual memory as well. It almost certainly will help.

I believe this was on for most of the 2.5 builds but when we went to 2.6 it was removed. So if 2.5 was fine this is almost certainly the cause.

Thanks
Jared

Thanks Jared - I never had a problem with the 2.5 versions so this looks like it may be the solution :slight_smile:

just to confirm that in my case the latest 2.6.0.14 fixed the out of memory issue.

Now I can “focus and frame” or save to disk images taken with QHY367C.
Thanks Jared and Ken.

Gianni

1 Like

Nice! Thx for the report.