FLI Camera Options

I have a FLI PL16803 camera and I am trying to figure out how to set the two readout speeds (Normal, and High) Also I don’t know how to set up the RBI Mitigation. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Under camera settings (left button with wrench) you can set the mode and rbi.

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the camera setting options window. What I was wondering is how to go about finding out how to set these parameters.

Is there a procedure to extract this information from the camera? Or, are these settings something I will need to try to get from FLI?

-Duncan

Duncan:

I’m don’t understand what you are trying to do here. Other than setting the parameters that have been exposed in the driver, what else are you wishing to do?

Ben

When you say exposed in the driver, where would they be? When I go into the camera setting options for my FLI camera it shows the fields to be filled in such as Normal, and High Readout speeds, and under RBI Mitigation I need to choose between

None

Flood & flush (normal) for___ sec.

Flood only at 1x1 binning

Flush only for ____ cycles

I don’t know either readout speed, and I don’t know which of the mitigation settings to choose. Also if I guessed and chose Flood, and flush I don’t know how many seconds to enter or how many cycles for the flush

Oh, I understand what you are asking. You’d like to know what values you should use, right? You won’t get any information on what to do from the camera itself and likely not much from the documentation.

I can make some recommendations for you to start with, but it’s very important that you check the camera performance out for yourself and make your own determination as to what are the best optimized settings for you and your camera model. Take my recommendations only as a starting point.

Normal (slower) readout speed should be used for acquiring frames.
High (faster) readout speed should be used for frame and focus.
I suggest you set these as best you can and then check how long downloads take when using frame and focus vs. acquiring frames. You should be able to note the time difference, and if they don’t seem right to you, then you can adjust these two settings accordingly.

As for the RBI settings, I suggest you start with the following. Use both Flood and Flush. Start with a flood time of, say, 3s. I suggest you start with 3 flushes. 1 is not enough due to residual values that may still be in the buffer. 2 is likely enough, but 3 ought to be fine. I would also suggest setting 2x2 binning to make this process go faster.

The real proof will be to examine how well you are able to calibrate with these settings and remove any residual RBI from your calibrated frames. You may find that you need to flash longer, flush more, or that you can flash shorter and only flush once or twice, etc. You need to be the final judge on this.

Even more importantly before embarking on RBI mitigation, make sure you examine how much RBI may be an issue or not be an issue for you in the first place. I understand anecdotally that your sensor is prone to having RBI, and perhaps you’ve already determined this. Still, if this is a new camera to you, I would recommend you first get used to using it before getting into RBI mitigation as that’s a more advanced subject.

Take care and good luck!

Best Regards,
Ben

Thanks so much Ben. I tried your suggestions with the RBI settings and it seems to have taken care of the dark bar I was getting on the left side of all of my images. I ended up setting it to Flood and flush for 2 sec. binning at 2x2,for 2 cycles. I tried 3 secs, and 3 cycles first but 2 and 2 seem just as good. As for the readout speeds as it turns out SGP has only 2 possible answers for normal, and high speed. They are 1MHZ, and 8 MHZ. That was a lot easier than I thought.
Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
-Duncan

Glad to be of help!

Ben