FLI KL 4040 Camera Files

My KL 4040 camera has the ability to save out both the LDR and the HDR frames at the same time. While using SGP I can only get one of the frames per image, either the LDR frame or the HDR frame. Is there some way to capture both the LDR and HDR frames per image?

Do you mean that the capture software that FLI provides does this? I was under the impression that these types of cameras will perform 2 readouts of the same data, one at LDR and one at HDR gain settings, then, with some technology onboard the actual camera, will combine them into a single image. If you are looking to have SGPro emit 2 separate images per integration, it’s not capable of doing that. FLI cameras are now officially supported via the ASCOM camera contract. Because of this, when an integration is finished, we ask the driver for the image data and save that to the image file. There is not currently a standard to pass two different types of images back to a client.

Hi Ken,

The ascom software for the 4040 saves both files, the HDR and LDR out separately. It will also save the combined or merged file. The thing is, it is better to process the individual LDR and HDR and then merge them together since that does an overall better job of it although, twice as much work. I was hoping to get FLI to pass through both files instead of just one but that would still mean that SGP would have to receive them.

Thanks,

Michael Regouski

I am still not sure what you mean. ASCOM is a standard for drivers and not software. It doesn’t know how to save image files, but rather it just gives the image data to a client like SGPro to do something with (like save it do disk). Are you referring to some other ASCOM client software maybe.

Yes. It is their front end software that allows one of the images to be passed to SGP. The software pops up when you connect to the camera in SGP. It also allows you to control the shutter, open or closed, which file (LDR, HDR or Merged) to pass to SGP and also where to save the LDR, HDR and Merged, or any combination of the three and control some aspects of the camera itself. This is only their software used with ASCOM not their proprietary software that communicates with the camera directly. It seems that their software would need to be able to pass two images to SGP and SGP would need to be able to recieve the two images passed to it.

Possibly, but ASCOM has no standard for this.