Framing and Mosaic Wizard Centering

I use the FMW to frame and rotate an image but not for doing actual mosaics. It would be nice when a small square is drawn, which is expanded to a single frame, that the single frame be precisely centered on the target coordinates. Currently, after drawing the single frame, I have to try and manually center it on the target coordinates and that is not always easy to do.

Charlie

Ok, thx. I think this is a good idea and should be pretty easy to implement… just trying to think if it might create an equally annoying problem with a different workflow. I feel like it might be disorienting to draw a small rectangle in the “not center” and have it appear far away from where the mouse is located. What about maybe either a button to add a single panel in the center of a canvas or a button that will center whatever panel rectangle exists on the canvas?

@Ken

A centering button would solve the problem. I just assumed if someone only draws a single frame, they probably want that frame centered on the target but I can see that someone might be wanting to capture something that is just near the target coordinates and having the frame snap to a centered location would be annoying.

Charlie

This is available in 4.2.0.914. The MFW controls are kind of already a mess and need some attention… the idea of adding even more buttons to it makes my eye twitch. So, at least for now, you will find 2 new context menu items at the bottom. Right click anywhere on the MFW canvas and:

• Center Mosaic on Canvas: Whether a single panel or multiple panels, this option will center the mosaic’s capture area on the canvas
  • Create Single Frame on Canvas: Does what it says. The default position is centered on the Canvas.

Alternative, you can use the numeric controls at the bottom to create the initial panel (by bumping either dimension to 1):

@Ken

Nice update to a very useful tool.

Charlie

Along the same lines, can the rectangle drawn by the user in the Framing and Mosaic Wizard be constrained to just a single frame/panel that matches the camera’s specs? I like being able to move the panel around, but when it is initially drawn, it seems that I can make it as big or small as I want since SGP assumes I will be doing a mosaic (in the case of the former)… But I just want to use the tool to identify my target as a single panel… (Could be I’m missing something… )

You can make a very small rectangle and SGP will snap it to the FOV of your camera.

Thank you,
Jared

@Jared

When snapping to the FOV, it would also be nice if the rectangle was automatically centered on the target coordinates.

Charlie

Not sure I’m following. The Framing and Mosaic Wizard should be creating the Target Coordinates for you.

I think maybe a nice addition (for single frame usage) would be to click and center the FOV around that single click vs dragging a rectangle though. We may look into adding that enhancement.

Jared

@Jared

When you draw a tiny rectangle on the image to indicate you want a single frame, SGP creates a frame that matches your FOV. However, it does not center that frame on the target coordinates even when the tiny frame is drawn at the target coordinates:

Charlie