Gemini 2 syncing without HC..Jared

I have seen replies on the past concerning Gemini 2 system compatibility and I know Jared uses this system, so hoping he can offer some guidance here. I have been using SGP successfully a while now with a Losmandy G11T and Gemini 2, although probably not to its fullest extent.
The system is pier mounted in a roll off roof observatory. What has worked in the past for me is to warm restart (I have a model saved), go to a bright star via the Gemini hand controller, select align then sync, connect the gemini 2 ascom software, start SGP, plate solve, then proceed using stellarium scope and stellarium where I then sync to the star in Stellarium. This has worked well.
I have recently moved my control computer into a warm room inside my home. So now I am looking to get away from the physical hand controller but still reliably sync without messing up my warm restart capability. I assume that I can somehow do this with the Gemini ascom software? Seems I had read in the past that syncing with the hand controller then doing so with the software causes pointing issues. Maybe I misread this. But I would like to leave the HC out of the loop now anyway.
Regardless I would like to be able to handle all syncing and parking (I have to park at home horizontally) without having to touch the physical hand controller anymore. Can you offer suggestions on accomplishing this?

Thanks,
Randy

I had the Gemini 1, but I don’t think it’s all that different than the Gemini 2. The Gemini should retain your pointing model with the warm restart so you really shouldn’t need to do to much to get started and re-aligned with SGP. Really all you should need to do is goto your first target and solve and sync and you should be up and running. If using auto center this is all basically done for you.

So you’d “Warm Restart” and then slew to your first target and then center.

Jared

This is pretty much what I’m doing now with the physical hand controller. If I use the gemini software controller only, will it work the same way as the hand controller as far as syncing etc?
Thanks,

Randy

Yes, the Gemini software or using ASCOM through SGP should have the same result where a sync is concerned.

Jared