**Guide** Email Notifications with Gmail

Hi, I’ve been struggling with getting SGP to send text notifications to my cell phone using Gmail. I finally got it working and was able to keep two factor authentication for my Gmail turned on. A lot of users suggest turning off 2FA, but I don’t think that’s a very good idea. Here’s what I did to get it working. If anyone would like screen shots, let me know in the comments and I’ll try to post some.

In your Gmail go to Settings/Forwarding POP/IMAP and make sure IMAP is enabled

Click on your Google account icon and click Manage your Google Account

Go to the Security tab

In Security, make sure Two Factor Authentication is on, or if you would like to use this turn it on and follow the steps to make it happen.

Once Two Factor Authentication is enabled choose App passwords
Choose Other (Custom name) from the dropdown and name it SGP or something similar and click GENERATE

This will generate a password for you to use in the SMTP Password field inside SGP, so save this into a notepad to be able to use in SGP in the next steps.

In SGP go to Tools/Configure External Notifications and select one of the email endpoints and click settings.

Fill in the outgoing address with whatever your carrier uses for email to text. (example yourphonenumber@vtext.com for verizon users) If you would rather have it go to email, just put in whatever email address you would like it to go to.

Check the box for Send notifications individually

In SMTP Server Settings enter
SMTP User: Your Gmail address
SMTP Password: The app password you created in your google account security settings
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 587 and check the box next to Use SSL

Don’t forget to Add and Update this information so it saves.

Click the Test button and verify that you receive a text on your phone and that you don’t get any errors popping up in SGP

Cheers

2 Likes

Thanks, thanks, thanks, I finally got the notification working using your instructions.

Thanks again

Renan

7680048756604F949481BE6F37C259CF.png

1 Like

Absolutely. I’m glad it helped.

I was looking for this guide! Thank you so much for posting this!

It was absolutely very helpful! Thanks a lot! It works!

Clear Skies,

Francesco

1 Like