Image Start Based on Sky Location?

Hello! I am getting acquainted with SGPro.

A quick question - is it possible to schedule an image sequence for when a target is in a particular place in the sky?

Common locations would be objects at the meridian or above 30 degrees altitude.

The first would provide optimum camera conditions, if needed. The latter, for time series work when images might degrade when under 30 degrees altitude, so starting the sequence when the object rises above 30 degrees in the east and stopping when it drops below 30 degrees in the west would be helpful.

As I read the manual, it appeared that start times were easily put into the sequence, but I was not sure how to put in sky location information. I can get these times from a separate planetarium program; however, the times of for these events would change day by day, so the sequence would need to be manually updated with the timing information for each run in that case.

Thank you for your help and best regards.

Mike

Yep. :slight_smile:

• You’ll need to have set up a User Profile, with the Lat and Long of your observing location.
  • Once that’s done, Target Settings will have checkboxes for telling the target to Start or End at either a particular time or a particular altitude.
  • There’s also a “lock” function, which if enabled (just click the lock) will lock that start/end time to that altitude, specifically so you do not have to update times each run, as you mentioned. (Test this first…I’ve found times when the lock behaviour isn’t quite as expected)
  • Target settings will also allow you to bring up the “Planning Tools”, which offer a visualization of the target’s altitude through the night, as well as other handy info, and the ability to set the start/end times by simply clicking at a point on a “graph”.

Thank you!

Mike

1 Like