Just some appreciation

Hi everyone,
I have had SGPro for a long time but never managed to get into it as it seemed to resist my attempts.
With the latest beta I feel like you guys have done a tremendous job and I m now diving into the subtleties of SGPro.
I have setup everything and started a test session between clouds which turned pretty good.
I was amazed the Autoflats worked so well. Once it gets an option for dark flats I will immediately adopt it.
I love the interface and info display, it’s very clear and all the info is there.
I would like to thank the developers for persevering with SGPro and getting it to this level. You guys rock!

1 Like

Hi flamiday,

Awesome! I am new to SGP, and I really like it, especially, like you, AutoFlats.

One problem, though, I don’t think you will see Flat Darks option anytime soon. There are manual workarounds, but Jared (co-developer) has not used them in his workflow for a long time.

Clear Skies,

Paul

Kinda sad as autoflats results in a range of exposure times that are not easily accommodated by a manual dark taking process.
That basically prevents me from using autoflats and resorting to NINA’s flat wizard that does incorporate automated darks matching flats exposures.

We never said no to Flat Darks. My understanding is that the Flat Dark practice has somewhat fallen out of favor. I asked a handful of top notch imagers if they were using Flat Darks and all of them responded that they no longer use them.

Jared

Oh ? Potentially good news then.

I was on the impression that CMOS OSCs were dependent on flat darks (vs bias). For my ASI294MC Pro, the consensus seemed pretty clear that bias were no go and flat darks the way to go.

I may need to revise my assumptions, but if that hasn’t changed you should have a good portion of users with OSC CMOS that would benefit from flat darks.
My flats are typically 3+ seconds and I understand that amp glow would not be picked up by bias.

Thanks for replying Jared, it’s appreciated !

That was my understanding that Flat Darks are no longer needed…but most of those imagers that I polled are using Mono CCDs so it could be a specific need to OSCs. I’ll do some more research.

Jared

(This may be better in a new topic, let me know if so)
Example of the autoflats using Skyflats yesterday:
CleanShot 2023-08-17 at 14.56.15
I could probably be ok with 2s dark flats and use WBPCC’s tolerance option, but I’d need to test.

I use an ASI071MC Pro camera and have tried both dark flats and bias. I couldn’t see any real advantage of one over the other, So, I just make a bias and dark library now and then.

It makes sense as there is no amp glow on the 071. The 294 has a lot of it though…