Naming a computer for License registration

I wasn’t sure where to ask this so I’ll start here. I’m setting up a new computer and I renamed the computer from the windows default name DESKTOP-F78G43 to a name that makes it easier to remember and identify on the network.

When I registered SGP with my account I noticed that DESKTOP-F78G43 was registered and not the name I chose. I also noticed this was the case for 2 other registered machines, so I am unable to tell what computers are which on my SGP account.

Does anyone know where I need to change the computer name so that it registers with the name I want?

Not a big deal but I wanted to ask. Thanks in advance.

That’s interesting. Here’s the procedure that I use: Making sure that you are logged into Windows with an account that has administrator privileges, type control panel system into the search box. The system window should open. Click on the Change settings link that is to the right of Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings. From the dialogue window that opens, simply put the name you desire in the Computer name field. A reboot will be required.

Of course there are other ways to get to the System window, but this one is pretty easy.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Yeah, that’s exactly what I did, then registered SGP after doing that. Still ended up with the default Windows name in my SGP account.

Had you ever registered that machine before?

The name of the machine is set the first time the machine is ever registered. Currently you cannot edit those values. If it’s an issue just email us the current -> new names and we can manually adjust them.

Thank you,
Jared

Thanks Jared, no big deal.