Newbie question: cannot open ASTAP settings in SGP

Hi, I am new to astrophotography and am trying out SGP. I have downloaded ASTAP and entered it’s folder location in external apps but when I click ASTAP settings in the plate solve pane in Equipment Profile Manager or Control Panel nothing happens. I have entered all my equipment profiles including camera settings and specs. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

It should bring up ASTAP (also you don’t really need to change much in those settings). Did it maybe pop up behind SGP?

Jared

Jared,
Thanks, and yes, I realize the ASTAP settings button should bring up the app, however my concern is that the app not opening may suggest something is awry which may affect functionality of ASTAP plate solving. The app did not pop up behind SGP.
Jaime

Jared,
What would you or anyone recommend I do to correct this issue?
Thanks, Jaime

1 Like

@Panamanian I have not had any issues with ASTAP opening when clicking on settings in SGP. My question to you is did you install ASTAP in the default location? “C:\Program Files\astap\astap.exe”

Also be sure under The tool menu… Tools > Options > Then the External Apps tab (see screenshot)

If these are not default, perhaps uninstalling ASTAP and reinstalling to the location above and reference it in the External Apps tab. Also as a side note, the catalogs you choose to use will go into the C:\Program Files\astap directory as well. Just a suggestion!

Capture

Bos,
I had everything setup as you mentioned however the problem persisted. I deleted and reinstalled both SGP and ASTAP and problem persisted. I finally restored my Eagle 3 HD to initial state, reinstalled everything and it finally worked. Thanks for everyone’s help.
Jaime

I ran into a situation where I installed ASTAP on a new computer and after trying to start it up, the window didn’t show up on the screen. Long story short, I found the astap.cfg file had some odd window coordinates in it. Basically, ASTAP was running but it was way off the screen. Deleting astap.cfg and re-running it to let it rebuild the file worked. It’s located here:

C:\Users\ (your user name)\AppData\Local\astap

You could probably also edit the window_left and window_top entries in the file rather than deleting and rebuilding it. In my case, they were negative numbers for some reason.

Dave

There was a version of ASTAP where I placed the main window during design at my second screen. So for new installations for systems with a single screen it was out of reach.

You could fix it in two ways:

A)

• Edit the config file at %LOCALAPPDATA%\astap and correct the window position as indicated by Dave in the previous message.

or

B)

• Delete the astap.cfg file at %LOCALAPPDATA%\astap. (Just copy paste %LOCALAPPDATA%\astap in file explorer to reach this location)
  • Install the latest ASTAP version.

Han