I have had persistent issues with SGPro not executing an autofocus when changing objects. This problem occurs when there is no change of filter, i.e. when the 2nd object is on the same filter or equally when there is a change of filter.
I run multiple targets on the one sequence and add new targets and delete old ones as they are finished. This means I generally use just one SGPro Sequence file.
Last night I was capturing Omega Centauri on the Red filter. There was an interruption because the shutters on my dome closed, due to dew on the rain sensor. As a result the guide star was lost and after multiple recovery attempts the sequence was aborted. All fine.
I got up about an hour after this event to check how things were going to discover the sequence had been aborted. I turned off the rain sensor and reopened the shutters. By now, the end time for the Omega Centauri sequence was passed so when I resumed the sequence, SGPro moved on to the next object which was M20, the Trifid Nebula and on the SII filter.
Now I would have expected after slewing to this object an autofocus would be started, especially because a new filter was to be used. But instead it centred on the object then tried to start the autoguider, which failed. After another recentre it got the autoguiding going and started the capture. At this point I intervened and paused the sequence. I forced an autofocus and then a recentre and got the sequence off an running again for the rest of the night.
I have put all the files pertinent to this issue in the following DropBox folder:
I included the Sequence file and the SGPro log from last night’s run. There is also a picture of the Focus Control Panel and the Autofocus Options I am using.
You will see that I have ticked “Autofocus on filter change” and “Autofocus before sequence start (not on resume)”. It is a bit unclear as to what is meant by a sequence here. Does this mean the overall sequence file, with multiple targets, or does it mean the sequence for each target. In my opinion ticking this box should mean that whenever a new target is started an autofcous will be performed. We can never assume, even if the filter remains the same, that the focus is the same in another part of the sky. Can you clarify this for me please?
I have not ticked “Autofocus on resume”. Now clearly I resumed the sequence in this instance, so this dialogue box being unticked means that no autofocus was necessarily triggered. However, surely the change of object and/or change of filter should have initiated an autofocus regardless. I obviously don’t know what would have happened had I had this dialogue box ticked…i.e. would an autofocus have been initiated. Frankly I don’t want to initiate an autofocus on every resume, as this could happen in the middle of a sequence on the same filter where there is no need for an autofocus.
I stepped through the logfile and took screen shots of the pertient bits so you can see what happened, or clearly you can refer to the logfile itself.
This issue has occurred previously, where there was no interruption, just a change to a new object. It has happened both when there is no filter change and when there is a filter change. I am at the point where I can’t rely on SGPro to execute a change of object and do the necessary autofocus before commencing on the new object. Please advise.