PHD2 Guiding order of events?

Hey guys, I’m a little confused after reading the literature and posts regarding guiding. A learning curve here for me and I am pretty certain the fault is with me and not SGP… :wink:

I use SGP to center target etc. Cool. All plate solves and blind solves work great. Nice software :slight_smile:

I then start PHD2 manually (PHD2 with default settings) connected my mount and camera via ASCOM drivers, selected a star, calibrated and all went well and started guiding. Cool. I am used to guiding in my previous workflow with EQMod.

How does SGP “pick up” the fact that PHD2 is now guiding? I was getting a “ready…” status bar notification but the sequence would not start. It “counted” in the elapsed time field but the "time to remain’ never decremented. And no subs in the folder. So clearly, something is amiss that I am doing. But not sure what?

Another time when conecting/disconnecting things I get a “waiting to resume autoguider…” and nothing happened.

I was battling this for a precious clear weather spell of two hours and then the clouds came in… We have been clouded out for weeks…

What is the sequence of events people use with their guider under PHD2 please? What is a workflow you use please?

Thanks, SS

It’s hard to know exactly what’s going on without a log file. Have you chosen PHD2 as your autoguider in the control panel? In PHD2, by default the “server” should be enabled. Open PHD2 and look under the Tools menu. There should be a checkmark next to “Enable Server.” Please see this thread on how to ask for help:

Thanks, yes I have read the help file and it does not answer my query, nor do any other threads seem to. Next time I get a clear night I shall investigate further and look into getting the logs.

We ask the PHD2 server directly.

As for the issues you encountered, the reasons for failure are non-simplistic (meaning that an observed failure can be caused by many different issues). As @joelshort indicated above, the logs will help us (any you) narrow the list of possible causes pretty considerably.