Planning tools wrong rise and set times

Description

Opening planning tools shows incorrect rise and set times for an object.

I am trying to capture NGC 5128 at my west michigan site. Site is at 40 08 11N, and 85 33 08W. Yet the planning tools show the object below the horizon. When using Stellerium it clearly shows the object above the horizon.

Aprox time of issue:

Link to Logs

Useful Info

Ver: 3.1.0.519
.NET: 4.8

Have you checked that your location is set up in SGP and that profile is being applied to the sequence. It is easy to miss this.

All set correctly!! First thing I checked!! Verified by Compass Commander again. M 8 Lagoon nebula is correct.

Nope it only happens on SOME objects.

The attached sequence was for M 17. But it seems fine. Looking at NGC 5128 it does appear to set pretty early here in TX (I’m at 30W) This also matches up with stellarium showing the transit as being right about now (8PM CDT).

Can you attach a screenshot of what you’re seeing?

Jared

image0.jpeg
NGC 5128 SHOWN ABOVE HORIZON

image2.jpeg

SGP PLANNING TOOL

I think something may be up with your Stellarium configuration, or maybe your horizon line in Stellarium is incorrect. Being at a latitude of 42N, the farthest south your horizon can be is -(90 - 42) = -48 Dec. Meaning at zenith the altitude would be around 5 degrees, which is what SGP seems to be showing.

Setting up Stellarium to be in Michigan I get similar results to SGP. Note Altitude of 4°19m at zenith:

Jared

Jared,

Thanks so much for your attention to my “problem”. My Stellarium configuration configuration was screwed up badly!! I removed the way it was set up incorrectly and boom. Just as you said it displayed correctly and agrees with SGP perfectly!!

My problem was self generated. I fat fingered the latitude numbers in a couple of locations. 🤷🏼🤦🏼‍♂️

Thom